Sunday 9 November 2014

No Silver Envelope this week.....

...but lots of other things have been going on.

Last Saturday we spent the whole day with Kristian´s mum. She fell a few weeks back, she was starting to recover and was doing well, when she fell again. She ended up in hospital for a few days but was sent home. At home she was in terrible pain and so she was sent for an x-ray, it was then they discovered that she had a broken bone in her lower back along with 3 slipped discs. She is home but still in pain and can´t do too much. 

We were her hands and feet last Saturday. We cleaned, dusted and shopped for her. Whatever she told us to do we did. We off course also had time to eat cake and chat. We always have time to eat cake and chat!! :-)  We had a lovely day with her.




Before long it was Monday and a new week had begun. It´s been a busy week but a good week. 

Tuesday evening we had our neighbour down for dinner. He lives above us, however he is so quiet that we often forget there is someone living above us. I made a delicious lasagne (even if I say so myself!) and served it with a salad . We had a really good evening chatting with him.


I love to read and am forever downloading books to my Kindle!! Over the last few weeks I have been reading and studying about the second coming of Christ....the blood moons etc. All very exciting and interesting. I also started a fiction book by JoJo Meyers which I am really enjoying. 


However on Wednesday at work I saw a book in the library that caught my attention. It´a Danish book, the title is De Sidste Timer, which translates The Last Hours. It is a collection of letters written by Danish Freedom Fighters of World War II hours before they died. It is their last letters home to their family and friends before their execution. Each of them knew they were going to die. Many knew the exact time. They all only had a few hours left on this earth. 

Even though I have enough books to read I couldn´t resist borrowing this and taking it home to have a read. 

Oh my what a book!!! I thought it would be a good idea to read a few of the letters at the end of dinner to Kristian and the kids. I told them about the book during dinner and as soon as we were finished eating I started to read the first letter from one of the men to his mother. I only read about 3 lines and I couldnt read on! I was sobbing my heart out! Andrew had to take over. It was soooo sad!! 

The next letter was a man writing to his wife and son, and so it went on. 

The others cleared the table and left but I couldn´t put the book down. I was transported back in time to the 1940s. I sat at the table by candle light, tears rolling down my cheeks and got to know these young men. These were real men, many of them only 20 or 21 years old and because of what they did I have the privilege to live freely today. It really touched my heart. After about 45 minutes I couldn´t read anymore. I was exhausted from crying. My eyes were burning and my head was aching. I needed to get to bed!



Thursday my crazy friend Anne came by with her wee son. I arrived home from work and Anne shorty after me. We ate some cake and had a good chat. Then Kristian arrived home and Ann´s husband Peter came from work. We ordered chinese food and had a cosy evening chatting and catching up. Peter and Kristian talk even more than Anne and I do!!! It was a great evening. They left around 8.15pm so their wee son could get to bed, he still had school on Friday.


Today we were at a funeral. When I came to Denmark almost 25 years ago there was a wonderful man leading our church at that time, his name was Hauge. He was a warm, kind man that was on fire for God and it was his funeral we attended today. He was 83 years old and had had a great life. He touched so many lives and you could see evidence of that today. There must have been at least 300 people at the funeral. It was a beautiful service, a real celebration of this life. It was really special for Kristian and I to see sooo many people that we haven´t seen in 15 or 20 years. There was a lot of talking and catching up. 

Kristian´s sister Hanne and her husband Flemming were at the funeral too. When it was finished it was near dinner time so we invited them back to share some of ours. They said yes and so we, once again had guests for dinner. It was sooo cosy and we just enjoyed the evening together on the sofa watching TV.

No comments: