Thursday 16 September 2010

Only teenagers in house nr. 5

...that´s what we have now! A house full of teenagers!

Today was Leah´s 13th birthday. It was a quiet birthday, but one I think she really enjoyed.


The day started with the opening of presents.

Leah wanted to have a day out with her good friend Cecilie. A real girls day out (without mum or the rest of the family tagging along.) So after school both girls went to the cinema. Afterwards it was out to eat together in a "real" restaurant...just the two of them. They thought it was great being allowed to do this.

Then it was home to hot chocolate, whipped cream and some muffins. Now the muffins have a story behind them....

I bought one of those quick packs from the supermarket, the ones you just add water and oil. It was a chocolate cake with chocolate cream topping, however I couldn´t find my cake tin so the cake turned into muffins.

Well, after I had made them and had eaten one, we turned on the TV to hear the news. There was a report telling us that the cake company AMO was calling back 10 of its cake/tart mixes. People had been having serious allergic reactions after eating their cakes/tarts.

Well the cake I bought was an AMO cake mixture. So we went onto the website to check it out and into the bin to find the empty box of cake mixture with the code number on it. The numbers on the website matched the number on our box. They recommended that we throw the cake mixture out.

Aarghhhhh - I had arranged with Leah that we would have the cake, and hot chocolate when she and Cecilie got home. Then we could spend the evening being cosy here at home. Now there was no cake!

Well I decided to keep the muffins so we could put the candles on them. I didn´t let the girls eat any, just in case. However, Kristian, Sara, and Andrew ate a muffin each. It´s hours since I ate mine and they ate theirs, we are all still alive and with no allergic reaction to anything. It´s probably a storm in a tea cup.


Well now for something else....

Today I went to the dentist to get my toothache seen to.I was in fear and trembling,but it turned out to be a really good experience. The people were lovely. The receptionist was so friendly. The dentist was wonderful, so understanding.

She said I had a huge hole in my wisdom tooth and that it was in really bad condition, she didn´t think it was worth saving, so she wanted to take it out. I also had a hole in my bottom tooth, but she didn´t think that was the problem at the minute.

When I heard that she wanted to take my wisdom tooth out I thought "OH NO!!" I have heard soooo many terrible stories about people getting their wisdom teeth out. So I took a deep breath and said "OK - do it, you pull and I´ll pray!" So I lay their praying and asking God to help her get it out. It must have taken 2 minutes at the most! Then she said - "oh it´s out! " I could hardly believe it - so easy and so quick. It was a wonderful experience and now I really feel ok about going back again.

I will go back in October and she will check out all of my mouth....see what needs done. Then she will take it one step at a time, doing the most important jobs first.

If I have pain in between times she said I should ring and they would get me an emergency time so that I could get the bottom tooth filled. I am just soooo relieved that I survived.

Now I need to get to bed. I have 5 hours of my wonderful wee monsters in 4b!! (They really are wonderful kids - just full of life!) It´s a special week in the school. The kids get one full day with one particular subject, e.g. a day just with Danish, Maths, or Art etc. Tomorrow is their day for English. I haven´t had any teaching this week so I am looking forward to tomorrow. ( I feel that I have a good programme ready for the day. I hope they enjoy it and learn alot from it. We are learning numbers 20 -100 and also about "our clothes" I have lots of fun games and worksheets ready!! We are ending the day with a film and quiz! Hope it all goes well. )

4 comments:

Stuart and Pauline said...

Congratulations to Leah, a teenager eh??!!! Laura how on earth do you cope with a house full of teens!!!?

Also congrats to you for being so brave and getting to the dentist and coping so well!!! I hope your family is very proud of you!!!

About the packet mix. That really does my head in, it was probably one person had a reaction because they are allergic to one of the ingredients and so the whole batch has to be re-called!!! Food allergies are actually incredibly rare!!! Anyway rant over!!.

Charlene said...

Happy 13th Leah, glad you had a fab day even if you're Mum nearly messed it up! Haha Laura, trust you. Storm in a teacup, dont you mean storm in a cupcake? That will teach you to buy ready bakes girl. Forget the boxes and dig out the recipe book!

p.s. really glad you got your tooth sorted!

lisa said...

Happy birthday Leah, make your mum make you a proper cake now to celebrate your birthday and her end-of-toothache!

Well done for going to the dentist, I got a wisdom tooth out a few years ago but it was still under the gum so it didnt come out quite as easily as yours did!!!

Rhoda said...

Oh my all those hormones in one place. Here's hoping you don't have an early menopause!!! Happy Birthday to Leah from me too:)