Thursday 4 November 2010

What a week!!

Yes, it has been quite a week in the Rasmussen household! From locking my keys in the car, to washing my mobile telephone and nearly trampling the cat to death!(whole other story for another time!) I didn´t think things could get much worse....how wrong I was!

On Tuesday evening Sara came home feeling totally rotten. It was her throat - again!! She gets a sore throat every 6 weeks or so. Usually a day or two in bed and she is then back on her feet again. (We sometimes go to the doctor when it happens, however we are always told the same thing. "it´s a virus, we can´t do anything, just drink warm tea.")This time was different. I have never seen her soooo sick.

She had fever. The glands on the side of her neck were so swollen you could see them sticking out. Her left ear was totally closed. At 5am she woke me, she could hardly swallow. Her tonsils were soooo swollen. I rang the emergency doctor but was told to contact my own doctor in the morning, so that´s what I did. We got an appointment. By this time Sara could only open her mouth half way. They checked her throat but there was no bacteria there, however something in her blood count was high, which showed infection. So we were sent to the hospital for more blood tests. They wanted to rule out Mononukleose. We were sent home with the instructions that if things got worse we should contact the hospital. (Oh by the way the blood tests showed that it wasn´t Mononukleose.)

Well things did get worse. I was at the dentist and when I came home Sara couldn´t open her mouth or swallow her spit. She was sitting with a bowl letting her spit run into it (gross - I know!!) Kristian has been on a course all week, so he came home to all this chaos! I rang the hospital and was told to come in with her right away. She was then kept in.

It turns out she had a boil at the back of her throat behind her swollen tonsils. They were worried that it would block her windpipe and make breathing difficult. This morning they were finally able to burst it, which was rather digusting!!! She has also been getting penicillin and this evening is on the mend! She is feeling alot better. Her tonsils are still swollen but she was finally able to eat a little food this evening. First time since Tuesday afternoon. Hopefully she will get home tomorrow.

In the middle of all this I had an appointment at the dentist and a bit of good news. The tooth that was cracked and needed a crown was not "dead " after all. When she got down to the roots she could see that it was looking good. So there was no root treatment and a crown was not needed, at least not at the moment. She was able to do a plastic filing, so I saved about £800!! A wee miracle in the middle of everything. I go again next week for the next bit of work that needs done on the right side.

Tomorrow I head off for the weekend. Right after work I head to the other side of Denmark for a Children Workers Conference. It happens every two years here in Denmark and it´s years ago since I have been to one. I am really looking forward to it. Eight of us from church are going so it should be fun. Hopefully we will get loads of ideas and inspiration! But I must admit I am feeling tired. This is the third weekend in a row that I have had a full programme! And my week days haven´t been much better. My house hasn´t be cleaned for 3 weeks!! hahaha So I know what Kristian will be doing this weekend while I am gone! It´s wonderful that I get to go away and he gets to do the housework and shopping:-) Life is good!


4 comments:

Stuart and Pauline said...

Laura, sounds like you've had a really rotten week. It must've been so worrying seeing Sara like that. Really glad they were able to work out what was wrong and hopefully they've fixed it now. Have they considered taking out her tonsils?! Hope she recovers quickly.

It will be weird for you being away this weekend given all the chaos of this week and no doubt you will feel torn between staying at home to look after Sara and being away.

lisa said...

Im so glad she's on the mend, it must have been an awful feeling not being able to swallow, she must have felt like she was going to choke - horrible! They really should take her tonsils out, my nephew is 20 and had his out a few months ago, I saw him today and he is so happy, the best thing he ever did!

Charlene said...

Hi Laura, hope Sara is feeling much better. Over here that condition is called quincy. Alastair had it and he said it is so frightening - the feeling that you can't swallow. They have to wait until the "right" time to lance it or else it comes back again, and it is gross! I feel so sorry for Sara having to go through all that!
On a lighter note we are watching Ghostbusters and the theme tune is playing - reminds me of nights out in the minibus!
Enjoy your weekend, you need the break!

Rhoda said...

That just sounds horrendous for Sara - well I hope they lanced it at the right time, so that it won't come back.