Sunday 9 January 2011

What´s been happening with us....


Time for a quick update.

Sara has been on penicillin since Tuesday. Wednesday she had no fever but was feeling rotten. However she was trying to convince herself, and us, that she was fine.

Thursday she still wasn´t feeling the best. She was alot better than she had been, but yet not totally on top. She decided that she would take the train into the airport to see a friend off. This would be a test for her. She could see how she was feeling after a 45 minute train ride each way. If she could handle that then maybe she could handle a flight 24 hours later.

Well she didn´t handle the train journey. She rang me at work to tell me she had just thrown up in the train - luckily into a plastic bag! It was soooo awful for her and the train journey just knocked her out. She came home feeling rotten and had to admit she could not travel the next morning with her class. She was sooooo disappointed, many tears were shed that evening.

We were then busy getting everything cancelled, ringing the school, insurance companies etc. I had to go to the doctor and get her to sign a medical report to send to the insurance company. I could not believe how much I had to pay for this 596kr!! £65!!!! Daylight robbery!!! All they have to do is fill in a few sentences and sign the paper!!

Sara is still not on top. She is alot better than she was. She spends most of her time in bed with her laptop or else sleeping. On Wednesday she is hoping that she is well enough to make a train ride over to visit her friend Winnie. That is giving her something to look forward too, so I really hope she is feeling strong enough for that. She will stay with her until Saturday.

Meanwhile I was up yesterday (Saturday) at 4am!! I was going away with my work to a teachers confernce. All the private christian schools were together for a day long conference. (750 teachers!!) It was a 4 hour bus trip there and back and a day packed with different speakers and workshops. It was actually really good. (I really was expectng a boring day of lectures!! haha)

Last night when I got home, Leah and I continued to watch Anne of Green gables. I got the whole series as a Christmas present. Last weekend we started to watch the first DVD - and we were hooked!! There is about 10 hours of film.

I watched the series about 14 years ago with Jette. She had taped them from the TV unto video tapes. She would come home to us one day a week and we would see only 1 hour of the tape then stop it. We could hardly wait to get together again to see the rest!!


I must admit I could only remember the start of the series. Leah has never seen them. She has sooo enjoyed seeing them for the first and I have soooo enjoyed re-seeing them again. During the week we have been watching them and tonight (Sunday) we watched the last 3 hours. We have laughed, cried and gone through every pain with Anne. It has been really special to sit and share this time with her. I am going to miss Anne, my kindred spirit!!

13 comments:

lisa said...

Oh no, poor Sara. Hopefully she will have a better time with Winnie, and see the Lord had a reason for her not to go.

Stuart and Pauline said...

Glad to hear that Sara is on the mend and really hope getting her tonsils out will sort this out for her. That must be soon.

I love Anne of Green Gables. I watched it for the first time when I was probably about 13. It was on over Christmas one year. It was brilliant. Then one of my friends/kindred spirits over here had it all on video. We used to have Anne nights and we'd all meet and get the next instalment. She even went to Prince Edward Island and did the whole Anne tours a few years ago!!! I've got all the books and have read four, I think. I look forward to watching them with Alice one day.

Laura said...

Thanks girls! Sara gets her tonsils out next Friday 21st january. So lets hope that helps!!

Oh I just love Anne of Green Gables too Pauline. Sounds like you did just what Jette and I did all those years ago, we could hardly wait to see them. I would LOVE to go to Prince Edward Isalnd and do the tour!!! or hire a bike and just bike around the place and enjoy the beauty. I actually bought another one today, was in the supermarket and saw that they had a 4th dvd, when she gets old and tries to find out about her real parents... so we can´t wait to see that. leah had a bit too much homework tonight to see it, but the weekend is coming so we can see it then:-)

Charlene said...

thinking about Sara, poor girl. Alastair suffered with sore throats and abcesses as well but once he had his tonsils removed he has very little trouble with sore throats. Anne of Green Gables - what are you lot like! I remember watching some of those programs with you Pauline.

Rhoda said...

I just hope your life is not 'a graveyard of buried dreams'!
I love love love Anne of Green Gables:)
Every couple of years, I watch the DVDs, and then I reread all the books -though I've lost the last one:(

I don't like the last DVD were they have traipsing all over Europe, that was just silly!!!! But I love the first two.

Glad Sara is going to get her tonsils out and hope the trip to Winnie compensates for not getting to Portugal.

Laura said...

Thanks rhoda....oh we will have to all get together and have an Anne of Green Gables weekend!! We stuff ourselves with good food and watch all 4 dvd´s!! Leah and I are going to watch the last one on Saturday. I´ll let you know what it´s like:-)

Stuart and Pauline said...

Without giving away the plot!!!!! I haven't finished the books, I have only watched the initial series that was on and I'm not sure which book that got up to. I hate knowing the end before I get there.

Really hope this surgery sorts Sara's poorly throat out!!!

Rhoda said...

I just found the last of the DVDs so different from the book, and so unbelievable it just annoyed me! The books are brilliant - they didn't need changed beyond recognition! Ok so they keep Anne & Gilbert, but that's it!
Some day I will make the pilgrimage to PEI!!! And of course expect to see Anne coming out of Green Gables!!!

Stuart and Pauline said...

Why do they do that? Did they think it was more palatable or something? Oh no, I feel an Anne of Green Gables session coming on. I must read more of the books and try and finish them. I know what you mean about going to PEI and expecting Anne to skip down the street arm in arm with Diana. We were even going to have an Anne dinner party!!! They have tours galore and plays and festivals etc. It's a massive tourist thing over there. Maybe a bit much!!

Maybe we can all go to PEI and do the pilgrimage minus husbands. I just couldn't imagine dragging Stuart around saying things like "Who was Diana again?" "what's a kindred spirit?" "do we have to drink more of this raspberry cordial?" Kindred spirits unite!!!

Laura said...

Count me in - and my friend Jette!! We will also want to go to PE. I was born in the wrong era....I want to live back in the time that Anne lived. I want to wear the long dresses, go to a ball and have a man (who looks just like Gilbert) book a dance with me on my dance card. I want to waltz the night away! I want to ride horses (hahahahaha - off course back then i wouldn´t be scared of riding them!! and I would be able to get up on them in a decent manner!)

Pauline don´t read this next part, just going to ask something about the last DVD and if you don´t want to know what happens then stop here....

Rhoda when you talk about the last dvd, is that the one where she goes to europe looking for Gilbert? Or is it the one when she is an old lady? I thought the one about going to europe was the last dvd, then the other day in the supermarket I saw another dvd, its when she is old and her children are grown and she is wondering about her birth paretns....I haven´t seen it yet. Leah and I hope to watch it this evening.

Laura said...

Seriously girls - what about a trip to PE??? Off course not right now, but say in 4 or 5 years tiime...we save up and make it a goal that in 2015 we all meet in London and fly to PE and have a weeks holiday together touring and being Anne and Diane and if we really wanted to get into the spirit of things, we could hire clothes from that era and dress the way they did.....hahahaha Ok I know i am getting a bit carried away:-)

lisa said...

Ive never watched/read Anne of Green Gables!!! Not a fan of stuff like that Im afraid but I'll go to PEI, wherever that is! Is there shopping???

Stuart and Pauline said...

Prince Edward Island Lisa. East coast of Canada. Only shopping there would be Anne of Green Gables souvenirs I'm afraid!!!