Friday 25 December 2015

Christmas....

.....and it´s over! 

We have had a lovely few days of celebration. 

It started on the 23rd December with Sara arriving from Århus. She told me she would arrive around 7pm but at 4pm she came through the door and surprised me by arriving a few hours early!  It was sooo great to see her again. Sara then went and collected Andrew, Camilla and Lasse so we could eat dinner together.



They all love my home made Chinese so that´s what I made. After dinner we exchanged gifts with Camilla and Lasse. 


Sara had sooo many gifts under the tree. These were from her friends, colleagues and Christian´s family. 

Unfortunately her Christian could not join us. He was working right up to the 23rd and so he could not make it over here and back again to see his family on the 24th. 

After dinner we sat around exchanging gifts. It was really cosy.



After we opened gifts we spent the rest of the evening playing a board game called Hint. It was so much fun! Kristian, Sara and I were on one team and Leah, Lasse, Camilla and Andrew were on the other. Even though we were out numbered we won!! :-) 

On the 24th we held our Danish Christmas with Kristian´s family. This year our Danish Christmas was a little different as Andrew was going to hold Christmas Eve with Camilla´s family. 

We started the day with brunch, just Sara, Leah, Kristian and me. Then we headed to church for the Christmas service. Our neighbour Laura came along as she was going to hold Christmas Eve with us.

After church we headed over to Kristian´s mum´s house. Here we met up with Kristian´s younger brother Peter, his wife and two kids. Kristian´s mum´s friend was also there. We were only 11 this year compared to 30 last year!! Kristian´s other brothers and sisters were holding Christmas at their in-laws. 



So we all had our part to play in getting everything ready for the evening celebration. Our girls and Emma and Emil (our niece and nephew) were in charge of decorating the tree and setting the table for dinner. Laura and I were helping in the kitchen with the food and Trine (Kristian´s brother´s wife) was in charge of dessert. 





The food was delicious and as usual we ate too much!

After dinner we walked around the Christmas tree singing carols. This is my favourite part of the evening. Then we exchanged gifts. After dessert we played some games before heading home.
We had a really wonderful Christmas Eve together. I am so blessed to have such a wonderful Danish family. 

Andrew arrived home shortly after we did. He was staying the night in his old room. It was lovely to have all the kids home again. It was just going to be us five to celebrate Christmas day together. 

We had a lovely long sleep and woke up to exchange our gifts. When I awoke I had a surprise at the end of my bed - a Christmas sock! I have never had a sock before and my kids made me one with such great gifts in it!! (Leah even got up at 2.30am to plant it at the bottom of my bed!)





 Our neighbours Laura and Mia along with a friend from America arrived over in their PJ´s to exchange gifts. A tradition we started after we moved out here. I served some bread, cheese and coffee and we had a quick snack together before they headed over again to get ready for their guests. 





Late morning was spent in the kitchen cooking the meal. It turned out great!! I made sooo much food that I now don´t have to cook for the next few days!




We had a lovely afternoon just relaxing together, playing games and seeing films. All very quiet and peaceful. 


I got this wonderful gift for Christmas from Kristian. I have been wanting to learn to play the violin for a while and so I had been wishing for a violin but Kristian said he wasn´t getting me one. I really didn´t think he would get me one and when I saw the shape of the presents he had for me under the tree, I could tell that there was no violin among them. 

He had gotten me a few dvds which he had packed in bigger boxes that looked nothing like a dvd or violin. I was happy enough with the films that I had gotten but then suddenly Kristian came in from the kitchen and said - "Oh here´s one gift I forgot about!!" I knew right away what it was - the shape gave it away!! I was over the moon. Kristian you´re the best!! (Even Zoey loves it!!)

 So now I need to learn how to play this thing!! When Kristian gave me the gift he told me it came with a condition -  I can only play it when he is out! hahaha 

No comments: