Wednesday 7 September 2011

It´s hard getting older......

Kristian turned 45 today! Happy Birthday Kristian!! 

After coming home this afternoon he needed to lie down for a wee rest, before long he was in the land of nod. It´s hard being 45!!


I arrived back in Denmark today. It was hard leaving dad in the hospital but he is in the best place and getting all the care and attention that he needs. I think he is enjoying having all those women pampering him! :-)


I said goodbye to him last night as I was leaving at 7 o´clock this morning. I walked down to the bus station and got the bus to Dublin to catch my flight to Denmark. Everything went like clockwork! At 3.30pm this afternoon I landed in Copenhagen. Sara had taken the train in from school to meet me and shortly after saying hello to her, Kristian turned up.


Before leaving Ireland I just had to have a trip into Belfast. On Monday morning I headed into Belfast to have a wee dander around. It was wonderful! I just love Belfast! Everytime I am home I always get this content, homely feeling when I arrive into the centre of Belfast. Belfast is my city!!  So I wandered around for a couple of hours and amazingly didn´t buy anything - oh except walnut whips from Marksies.(which I ate walking up to the hospital - I know disgusting eating them all at once!)


 From town I headed up to the hospital to visit dad. The rest of Monday was spent at the hospital.

 Tuesday morning I decided to take a walk around the area where I grew up. What a different place it is now. The tearing down of the houses in the area has already begun. It looked like a warzone.




Then I headed up the Boucher Road to Marks and Spencers to get some food in for dad so when he finally gets home from hospital he has food in the freezer. Again the rest of the day was spent at the hospital. 


On the way home from the hospital I met my friend Sharon on the Donegal Road and was able to get a ride home. I was so thankful for that, as it was dark and cold. She came in and had a quick cup of tea before heading home. It was great to see her again even if it was only for a short time.


The time at home went by sooo fast. It didn´t go as planned, I didn´t get half the things packed that I wanted to, but I least I was there for dad. 


I talked to dad this afternoon and he sounded good. They are still keeping an eye on his blood counts and his kidneys are still not functioning properly yet, but there is a big improvement so things are going in the right direction.


One good thing about being back in Denmark is seeing the kids and Kristian again. Since it was Kristian´s birthday we all went out to dinner. Kristian usually goes to the same restaurant again and again but tonight he decided to try a new restaurant! He is getting very adventureous in his old age!!  We had a cosy evening out. Now it´s time for bed...we are all exhausted. It´s back to work tomorrow which I really can´t get my head around. I am not ready to go back to work yet - ah well a good nights sleep should cure that!! 

5 comments:

Stuart and Pauline said...

Laura, I really hope your dad picks up quickly and gets home soon.

Laura said...

Thanks Pauline, I hope so too. It´s hard being so far away and not being able to go and see him, but he is getting the best care, they are just wonderful with him up in ward 9:-)

Stuart and Pauline said...

I know it's definitely difficult. Stuart was saying last night that we make these choices in our 20s to live away from home and later in life you realise the consequences of that. Glad you feel happy about his care though, that is a real weight off. xxx

Lorraine said...

Just been to see Jim. He's getting another transfusion today and hopes to be home Monday or Tuesday. He looks well but pale. Your aunt Kathleen was there. It was lovely to meet her. Speak soon hon.

Laura said...

I talked to dad tonight and he said he was feeling so much better. They had just started the blood transfusion when I called. I am so glad he is on the mend. Now to get back over and get him moved. We are trying to get flights for the 12th October....but will let you know for sure when we book. I can´t wait to get him moved out and into the lovely wee house....