Friday 21 October 2011

22 years ago today....

I arrived in Denmark for the very first time. I was 20 years old, the same age that Sara is now!


Kristian and I met each other in June 1989 at a conference in England. Although we didn´t really speak to each other at the conference, we both were shy, Kristian had gotten hold of my address and he wrote a letter to me. 


We started to communicate via letter. After a few letters we started to make cassette tapes to each other. This we did for about 3 months. It was crazy, we were falling in love with each other and yet we had never really talked face to face. I had to go to Denmark and find out if this great Dane, who was turning my world upside down, was the one for me!! 


I remember it all like it was yesterday. I was so excited and yet so nervous. I didn't know what I should do when I met him. Should I  shake his hand,  hug him, or kiss him?!! haha ( I ended up hugging him!! haha) If I had to do this all again now, I don´t think I would have the nerve, but all those years ago I could cope with anything! haha


We clicked right away. Kristian was so easy to get along with, we talked and laughed all evening. It was a really wonderful evening even though he didn´t even kiss me goodnight! 


The next evening Kristian asked me to marry him....I said yes!! CRAZY or WHAT?!! But we were sensible young people so we decided we better wait and think about it for a while, just to be sure....so we waited 3 days!! hahaha 




I just remembered this afternoon that this was the day I came to Denmark for the first time. I have no regrets, I am still just as madly in love with Kristian as I was all those years ago (I know, you need to go get a bucket!haha)  The best thing is that we still have as much fun and laughter as we did that first week that I was here. 



No comments: