Friday 29 March 2013

Drama and family.....

....yes, it has been a dramatic few days here in The Rasmussen household!! It started Wednesday afternoon just before I went to the cinema with my mother-in-law. Leah was heading out to Copenhagen with her friend and her mum. Her friend was going to get her nose pierced. Well, a few nights ago she asked if she could get her nose pierced too. I said "No, when you are 18 you can do what you want" and that was that. 

So before going to the cinema Sara got a text from Leah asking her to ask me if she could get her nose pierced. Once again I said no and told Sara to tell her that if she did it she would be grounded!! I thought no more about it and went and enjoyed my afternoon with my mother-in-law.

Well, the wee bandit went and got her nose pierced. Totally disobeyed us!!!! She has NEVER done anything like this before! She sent me a text saying that she had done it and that she loved it and it was worth getting grounded for!

( I actually didn´t really believe it, I thought she probably had bought a sticker for her nose and would pretend it was pierced.)

 Well, when I got the text I realised I needed a better punishment for her, if she really had gotten it done. Grounding was not having an effect on her. So when I got home I went into her room and unplugged her computer and put it away somewhere out of her reach. I then changed the codes on our computer so she couldn´t get on there either. 

When she arrived home I saw what she had done. She HAD gotten her nose pierced and not with a stud but with a ring!!!! It was awful. 




I tried to keep calm! (not something I am good at - I tend to blow up and rant and rave about whatever it is for a few hours!) Anyway when she came through the door I calmly put my hand in her coat pocket and took her phone. She was shocked!

 I then went on to tell her she was grounded without her mobile and that her computer was no longer in her room. (Not much left for her to do and no contact with the outside world, except when going out with us to something which we as a family, needed to go to. ) I then wrote to her friend and told her that Leah would not be attending her birthday on Monday. Another shock! 

Boy the atmosphere in the house was not good. There were tears and I got a few things off my chest - telling her how disappointed I was. She had a bit of time on her own to think things over.



Meanwhile Kristian had come home and was not feeling well. He had a fever so he was in no mood to join in the household drama at this point. He told her how disappointed he was in her and that he would talk to her when he felt better. Then he went off to bed along with the neighbours cat! :-)

So after a while of being on her own she did come out and say sorry and that she realised how stupid she had been disobeying us. There were many tears and hugs. 

Her grounding without any contact with the outside world is still in force until Tuesday when school starts again. Amazing how domestic she has now become. She has been in the kitchen alot making American pancakes



  
Then today Kristian´s whole family were getting together for Easter lunch down at his mums. We all had to take something along for a buffet. Andrew has been ill with the flu since Monday so he stayed at home, as he wasnt feeling any better. Kristian was feeling better so Leah, he and me went off to see the family.




 We had a lovely afternoon together. We had all the old photo albums out and we went a walk down memory lane.  I love hanging out with Kristian´s family.

When we got home it was "Operation remove the nose ring" time. We had told Leah that she couldn´t keep the ring and that we would go back to the piercing shop on Saturday when it opened again and get it removed. However now I am not feeling the best  and Kristian also isn´t really feeling that good (like he thought it was) and the thought of going to Copenhagen tomorrow is just too overwhelming, so we decided we would try and remove it ourselves. 

Kristian got out some of his tools, sterlised them and set to work. I have to laugh at Andrew´s face on the pictures below....




He did it!!!
  
We now have a nosering free Leah again!! She was ok about getting it out and we both got a big hug at the end of it all. I think we have a girl who has learned an important lesson.

Now we have a few more days to put in without mobile or computer.....lets see how creative she gets!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Laura, that's awful. I totally agree with what you did. I think if Leah had gotten a stud it wouldn't have looked so bad, but she is so pretty to have had that done. Well done you for standing your ground.

Anonymous said...

"I tryed to keep calm..."
Gorden bennett! - if that was keeping calm, I would not like to see Laura angry!! Ha, ha, ha!!
Kristian