Monday 23 November 2015

Cosy times....

The Danes have a word which I love - it`s HYGGELIGT. There is no single word or direct translation for it.  It is a lot of different things. It is being cosy, being content, having good feelings, a warm glow. It is that feeling of well being and satisfaction. Hygge - is the Danish ritual of enjoying lifes simple pleasures. 

Well this week has been one of those HYGGELIGT weeks. I have enjoy some of lifes simple pleasures. I have experienced good feelings, warm glow, feeling content, satisfied and cosy. 


The week was busy at work. It was the final week of our fund raising and I was excited to see what the final amount would be.  The kids did a fantastic job raising the money.  I really didn´t think our rainbow would grow sooo much! I thought we would fill out the colours to the half way mark, but I really didn´t expect more than that. 

My boss Peter was dressed up as Frankie. Every Friday at Assembly we did a sketch announcing how much money was raised during that week. Kids that had done an expectional job were called out to get a prize. 

The kids had worked out that it was Peter who was dressed up as Frankie ...but for fun on Friday we decided that Peter would reveal to them and me, that he was Frankie. It was hilarious. I acted like I had no idea that Frankie was Peter and the kids (the really young ones) bought it. They really thought that I had no idea that Frankie was not a new friend but just Peter dressed up. So many of them after Assembly came and said how sorry they felt for me and they hoped I wasn´t too sad at not having Frankie as a friend. They were soooo sweet. 

The final amount raised was - 170.000,-kr which is approx17000 pounds!!! Totally amazing!!




Wednesday evening I met my friend Jette at our favourite cafe. We were having dinner together. Good food and company - the best combination.  It was soooo good to catch up with her again and we had a really cosy (HYGGELIGE) night together.

On Friday at work there was such a holiday feeling. We were getting ready for our Christmas Market which was being held on Saturday. Everyone was busy, busy, busy - it was just sooo HYGGELIGT!! 

Saturday morning I was back at work again ready for the Christmas market. We had about 2000 people come through the school. 




I was on the cake stall and we sold loads and loads of cakes. Thankfully I just had to sell them, and not make them! Parents and kids were helping with everything so we had a rota, which was great cause I got to go exploring in the flea market that we had. I had my eye on a few things that I had seen while setting up on the Friday evening - a Kenwood mixer, an old spinning wheel, and a food processor. 

The market started at 10am and since I was serving on the cake stall from 10am to 11am I was first able to get over to the flea market a few minutes after 11am. Unfortunately I was too late to buy the Kenwood mixer and food processor (both of which were like new) they had been sold. However I did get my hands on the old spinning wheel. I got it for 10 pounds!! A bargin!! I was happy. I also got myself a new book - in English!


The Christmas market finished at 3pm. We had a bit of clearing up to do but by 5pm I was finished and ready to head home - in the snow!! It had started to snow and by the time I reached home we had a real snow storm on our hands. It was soooo HYGGELIGE!! (cosy!!)

Home was also soooo HYGGELIGE! Kristian had been cleaning while I was gone, so I came home to a lovely clean, tidy house.





It has been a while since we have had sooo much snow and I was loving every minute. We spent Saturday evening curled up on the sofa. Laura came over and we saw a Christmas movie together. When it was finished I decided to walk her home (all the way next door! haha) I was in the mood to be out in the snow. Laura had gone home and Kristian was not interested in going out to play in the snow. Leah was in bed too, so at 11.20pm I went out and built myself a snowman. It was such a beautiful evening and being outside in the fresh fallen snow was sooooo HYGGELIGE:-)

Sunday morning and we were up early to get the snow dug away from our drive so we could get out. What a job that was!! 






We had been invited to Kristian´s sister ´s house for lunch, along with some of their other friends and we wondered if we would make it with all the snow that was around. We thought we would give it a try. Thankfully there was no problem getting in, the roads were pretty clear. 


We had the most delicious 3 course meal in with Hanne and Flemming. It was sooo HYGGELIGT!! We got to catch up with each other again and it was lovely to see their good friends Anette and Bent. The afternoon flew by! Before heading home we popped in to see Kristian´s mum.  It was good to see her too.

This morning on the way to work we got to experience the most beautiful sky. I got Leah to take a few pictures, but they don´t do the beauty justice. The colours were much bolder in real life. 



It sure has been a HYGGELIGE week.:-)

No comments: