Saturday 19 July 2008

A rare happening in Northern Ireland

Today we awoke to something very rare in Northern Ireland - blue skies and sunshine!! It`s the first ray of sunshine we have seen since arriving 10 days ago!! We were all on a high and just had to get out and explore the country side....

Our journey took us up north to the coast. We stopped first at the Giants Causeway. What can I say - breathtaking as always!! I stand in awe at the beauty there. I just love that place! I will let the pictures speak for themselves...




On our way back to the car I happened to hear some people speaking Danish. How funny - some other Danes in wee Northern Ireland. So I went over and spoke to them, (much to my kids embarrassment). The Danes also looked a bit stunned, wasn`t too much conversation out off them! (They had probably been saying something nasty about someone, thought no-one could understand them, and then I popped up and said "Hello, now there`s a language I understand!" Poor Danes didn`t know what had hit them!! haha)

We drove further on around the coast road to Carrick-A-Rede rope bridge. You actually have to pay to get across the rope bridge so we dropped that idea, but decided to walk down to it and have a look. However we didn`t make it the whole way down (what a walk there was!). The weather was quickly changing and rain was on it`s way. Kristian should have been a weather man, he predicted that within 20 minutes we would have rain. He thought we should head back. He was right. We just made it back to the car when the rain came on. It didn`t last long and by the time we drove round to Portrush, the sun was out again.

By now we were straving, so we found a nice wee restaurant. I did something today that is a very rare happening in my life....I ordered an Ulster Fry. It was delicious. Tasted just the way my mum made it.


Since we arrived here, Kristian has been dying for fish and chips. Today his wish was fulfilled.


After dinner it was a quick trip down the main street of Portrush. I love all those wee knick-knack shops. Then we headed down to the beach and had some fun running away from the waves before they hit our feet. (Little amuses the innocent!) It has truly been a wonderful day.







No comments: