Friday 8 May 2009

40, fat and finished....

....well thats what they say here in Denmark, and I have now offically turned 40!!

I cant get my head around that number - me 40!!! It just cant be right! I decided to check my birth certificate just to make sure....unfortunately it said I was born in 1969 - so according to my calculations that does make me 40! Suppose I will just have to get used to the idea.

So how was my day? Well, it was actually wonderful! (which I actually didnt expect!)

You see Kristian has been away from Monday on a further education course with his work. He would first be home Friday evening, therefore he would be away for my birthday. Thats why I didnt expect anything special to happen. (I myself hadnt planned anything.)

Well on Wednesday evening Leah and I were sitting on the sofa watching TV and eating ice cream. About 9.15pm our front door opened and in walked Kristian. I couldnt believe my eyes. He was able to get away from his course, but had to be back at the course centre by 8am the next morning. It was soooo great to see him again!


Kristian could now be a part of our traditional morning celebrations. Thursday morning at 6am I was woke by him and the kids singing Happy Birthday!

I got some wonderful gifts. Kristians present was a gift card for an overnight stay in an cosy old hotel in a really cosy town. (He has booked the hotel for 22nd May - so I dont have long to wait. I cant wait!) The town is really cosy, (we drove through it once and always talked about going there to explore sometime!) there are many different things to see in the area.
Well after a wonderful morning it was off to work. I hadnt really expected anything else to happen the rest of the day, but I was wrong about that. At work my colleagues had bought presents, left cards, and decorated with flags and banners. It was really good of them - I was sooo touched by their thoughtfulness.
After work I decided to head to town and do a bit of shopping. We needed milk and bread and since Friday is a bank holiday here, all the shops would be closed, I thought I better go and get what was needed.
Well those that know me well know I love to shop, so it wasnt just a quick stop for milk and bread. I wandered around the shops looking for bargins. I was having a great time..little did I know that at home Kristians mum, dad and sister had arrived with cake to surprise me and help me celebrate the day.
In the end Andrew rang me to see where I was. He was wanting to know when I would be home, he let on it was because he was hungry for cornflakes and milk. I told him I would leave town right away and come home. What a shock I had when I came home and there was the family with cake, and more presents.





My friends Laura, Audry and Rhona popped by too with some wonderful presents. Thanks you guys!!


I was so touched that Kristians mum, dad and sister drove up with cake. It was a really wonderful surprise. Thanks for doing that! (I have the best Danish family in the whole world!!)
When everyone headed home again, Sara, Andrew, Leah and me headed out to the local chinese for dinner. (I refused to make dinner on my birthday!!) We had a delicious meal at a very reasonable price.





We then ended the evening at home - just relaxing. It was a wonderful birthday, even though I did miss my hubby. Thanks everyone else who helped to make this day very special for me.
My friend Rhona bought me a very special birthday card, its my all time favourite!!....check it out below

5 comments:

Rhoda said...

Oh Laura, I'm so pleased for you that Kristian was able to be home at all - what a fantastic surprise. Well done Kristian for making it home . . . AND giving Laura such a perfect present for her!

Glad you had such a good day, and don't worry you will eventually get used to being 40, but by that time you'll be 45. Ha Ha Ha.

Charlene said...

Don't want disappoint you Laura or depress you but you've actually finished your 40th year and embarked on your 41st!!!!! ha ha ha

Glad you had a wonderful day..

Lorraine said...

Glad you had a great day and got lots of cards - not to mention presents!

I'm glad turning 40 wasn't so bad after all. Don't forget the saying here is 'Life begins at 40!' so just ignore the Danish one!!

Must go, have to beautify myself to go to a wedding. Hopefully Ill get the hat on right after Charlene's instructions yesterday!

Rhoda said...

I think you should change it Laura to 40, fit and full of fun:-)
And by the way if 50 is the new 40, then 40 must really be 30:-)!!!!

lisa said...

Excuse me - what do you mean fat and finished???!!!! No way - your in your prime!! Do you not know life begins at 40?! Glad you had a great day, I can just imaging everyone waiting for you at home and you were dandering around the shops - thats so funny!!