Thursday 11 June 2009

It looks good on you....

Out window shopping the other day I decided, for fun, to try on some clothes. I decided to try clothes that I normally wouldnt go for but I soon discovered that the clothes I had picked just didnt look good on me. They were the wrong colour, pattern or shape - a few even made me look pregnant!! I looked awful in them.

This made me think about a song I have been listening to all week. It is sung by a man named Don Moen. It is taken out of Psalm 33 v 1 which says "Praise is becoming to the upright" in other words - Praise looks good on you.

Well I dont know if you´re like me, but since I turned 40 I havent been doing a lot of praising!! I would say I have been doing more complaining! (and I was blaming it on the hormones!!) But as a Christian complaining doesnt look good on me!! It´s like putting on those clothes that were the wrong shape, pattern and colour. It does nothing for me!

So many Christians are "wearing" things that just dont suit them - things like complaining, bitterness, unforgiveness, anger, and the list could go on. God says these things dont suit us - but the one thing that suits us we seldom wear and thats praise.

So over the last few days I have been challenged by this. Whenever I felt like complaining Psalm 33 v 1 came to mind and I thougth "Laura that complaining doesnt look good on you - Praise suits you better!" and I changed my complaining to thankfulness and praise instead. (well, maybe not every single time - God is still working on me!)

Have a listen to the song for yourself - I just love the melody!

1 comment:

Charlene said...

That was lovely Laura! Praise looks good on you and it's not so bad for feeling down either! I think that's why as teenagers we never suffered too much from depression - we were always singing. Thanks so much Laura - I really needed that.