Saturday 31 October 2009

Halloween...

...Leah was off to a Halloween party tonight, so we spent the afternoon getting her ready.



I decided to decorate the house a little for when the kids came around the doors, so we put up some lights, spiderwebs and spiders. I got a big bowl and filled it will sweets. We were ready!


I decided to put on a wig and my false teeth and give all the kids a shock when I opened the door to them. Just after dinner the door bell rang. Now was my chance to have fun.



As I opened the door I let out a wicked laugh and said "Happy Halloween" the look on the 3 girls faces was priceless. I had planned to be a nasty Cruella but decided I better turn friendly pretty quickly.

Some of the kids didnt know whether they should hang around or run for their lives. Thankfully all of them decided to stay, at least long enough to dip into the sweetie bowl. They were all smiling when they went on their way - so no harm done!



Andrew and Sara had been hoping no one would ring the door bell - they wanted the sweetie bowl all for themselves - greedy things!!

We ended the evening with a visit from our neighbour, (dressed as a ghost,) and his 3 kids. We had a lovely evening with them. The kids and me played Uno for a while before they all headed into Leahs room to play. By 9pm we didnt expect anymore kids to call so we all got stuck into the last of the sweets!! Love these spontanous visit from neighbours!

On Friday when Kristian came home from work he had a slice of cake for me. Friday is cake day, somone bakes or buys cake. There was one piece left and instead of throwing it out, Kristian brought it home for me to try. (He just knew I would love it!)

It was a Halloween cake and it was delicious!!!! I had seen an advert for it in our local bakery but didnt think much about them. Well after tasting it yesterday I made sure that I was up early this morning so that I could buy one at our local bakery. Boy how we have stuffed our faces! It was to die for!!!

Between the cake and all the sweets I think I have put on 3 kg in one night!! But tomorrow is the 1st November, a new day, a new month, with new goals - one being that I am going to get healthy and start excercising again - anyone up for the challenge??? One month to lose a few kilos before Christmas.

13 comments:

Rhoda said...

I'm up for it Laura! Since Malin died I've put on a few kilos - and I would quite like to get them off again. But actually I already started last week, and so far have lost about 2 . . . . or was it just I changed my scales and the new ones weigh lighter:-) LOL

I'm afraid I really don't like Halloween - a throw back to when I studied it and taught it in my CEF days - so I was quite thankful to avoid it last night as I just had to do the shopping at the time!!! (Many churches over here will try to offer an alternative, so that the kids can still dress up and have fun)
But I can imagine you scaring the life out of the kids - and the older two being mortified with their mother! It's meant to be the teenagers who embarrass their parents, Laura not the other way round!
Imagine Leah spoiling her good looks like that - unrecognisable.

lisa said...

I didn't recognise Leah either, very good. We dont recognise halloween in our house but we still got some sweets in just in case any children were to call, wouldn't like to see them all disappointed if I said 'sorry we are Christians, theres no such thing as halloween'!! But the only ones that called were Connors friends. Yeyy all the sweets for us then!!!

Laura said...

When I first came to Denmark there was no Halloween here - its something the shops have brought in over the last 10 years, and its only in the last 3 or 4 years that kids come around the doors, when Sara and Andrew were small kids never went out trick or treating....its really only Leah who has experienced that side of it and normally she is never allowed out to do that - its not a Danish tradition so she has never been allowed out to knock doors...last night was the exception as she was at her class party - she came home with loads of sweets - Sara and Andrew were very jealous!!! haha

Stuart and Pauline said...

We were really thankful that Barbara wasn't teaching the children anything about Halloween, we were thinking she would end up coming home with a witch's hat etc. So we had a bag of sweets and also little books about Jesus. So when we handed out the sweets into their bag and then put a wee book in as well, they were all really thankful to be getting something else too. Wonder how thankful they'll be when they read them!!! Our church put on an evangelistic event for families yesterday evening.

Leah did look fab, didn't recognise her either.

Rhoda said...

Ha ha ha, I'm just looking at your photos again, and see you managed even to have the obligatory cat in the scene as well:-) Just noticed Shadow peeking out behind you!

Laura said...

hahahaha never noticed that - see she really is named well, she always does follow us everywhere. Me and my shadow!!haha

Rhoda said...

My word I had a Laura moment today. It was raining (Well there's a surprise) and I was actually wishing I had wellies and waterproof trousers to go out for a walk. I actually don't mind walking in the rain, but I don't like getting soaked through - and I don't like umbrellas. I don't even mind my hair getting wet, I just don't like wet clothes.

lisa said...

I hate my hair getting wet - a big big problem for me as my hair goes like Diana Ross!!! A big frizzy afro!! Not a good look ha ha!!

Now youve get your camera theres no stopping you! Just wait until it snows, think of the beautiful photos you can take. Looking forward to them already, although the way our weather is it will probably snow around June lol!!

Rhoda said...

I now have the wellies, just waiting for the next rainy day to use them, probably won't have to wait too long!

lisa said...

Now you have them it probably wont rain! I will go straight out and buy a pair if thats the case! I forgot to say I love the 'Armadillo' picture, Ive never even heard of it. What is it?

Laura said...

The whole time I lived in ireland I never had a rain coat or wellies, now I have both, and it hardly ever rains here compared to home!! Hope you get lots of mileage out of those wellies!! haha Nothing better than a walk in the rain:-)We are having fantastic weather - windy, cold and raining and today we had our first few flakes of snow!! didnt last long but there was snow and I was out shopping in it, walking the streets looking in shop windows and just loving it:-)

Rhoda said...

The Armadillo is part of the SECC - they've probably renamed it - but it's where a lot of concerts are held. I thought that photo was pretty dramatic - cos of the sky. I should have said the only photo which was photoshopped was the glowing one, the squinty bridge really does look like that at night. They use different coloured lights, and it is very effective.
I don't think I'll have to wait to long for the rain! But if it doesn't come, I'll be able to use on the wet grass:-)

Stuart and Pauline said...

Oh Laura, that sounds wonderful!!! I love snow!!!

Rhoda, Glasgow and Newcastle are very similar, we have the "blinking eye", which is the same shape and has different colours at night and also The Sage in Gateshead for concerts, which is very similar to the armadillo. Now, the question is, who copied who?