Thursday 30 June 2011

Take your blood.....

"Take your blood" this is something I say regularly to my niece when she comes to stay. You see she has diabetes. When she was younger and I wanted her to check her blood sugar levels I would always say "Annie, take your blood". She would always remind me that that was not the correct way to say it. Off course that made me say it all the more just to tease her :-) So this sentence has become a bit of joke between the two of us after all these years.


She has had diabetes for many years and is really good at looking after it all herself, working out how much insulin she needs, checking her sugar levels etc. 

Well Annie arrived today while I was a work. Leah has been looking forward to seeing her all week. When I arrived home the girls were having a great time organising the bedroom. (They are sleeping in our bed and Kristian and I are moving into the livingroom to sleep for the next few days.) They decided they wanted to have a nap and try out our bed. I told them that I would wake them after ½ hour as I wanted them to be able to sleep tonight. So ½ hour later I went into wake them. They both were fast asleep so I was my usual loud self!

They both woke a little and turned over. I went out to start dinner. After a few minutes I went in again and tried to wake them again. I tickled their feet, smacked their bottoms and shouted "Wakey, wakey lazy heads!!  They both were still a bit groggy. I then went out and continued with dinner. After 5 minutes I went in again. This time Leah was up sitting on the bed, wide awake and cuddling the cat,  but her cousin was still lying sleeping. It was at this point that I started to suspect something might be wrong.

I crawled unto the bed and shook my niece, she opened her eyes but didn´t seem to notice me. It was hard to get contact with her...her blood sugar was low. I gave her 2 pieces of sugar sweets that she takes, but these didn´t seem to have any effect. I was getting really worried and trying my hardest not to panic! I rang for an ambulance. Within 10 minutes the ambulance was here, but it was the longest 10 minutes of my life!!


They got the needed sugar into her. Luckily she came around pretty quickly so she was able to walk down to the ambulance. Good thing, I was wondering how on earth they would carry her out through the tiny opening in our room!  We both had a ride in the ambulance (with two really lovely ambulance men - right Annie?!) They wanted to check her over to make sure everything was ok. It was! Thank goodness for that. 

The one question I forgot to ask today when I came home was "Annie have you taken your blood!"  Well you can be sure she will be getting that question asked every hour now on the hour!!! 

The girls are now enjoying being together again. They are planning their day tomorrow - something to do with make overs and model shows. It´s my last day at work tomorrow and then I am of for 4½ weeks. I can hardly wait:-)

1 comment:

Charlene said...

AHH now I understand Leah's post with the pics of the ambulance. Glad everything turned out ok!