Thursday 5 April 2012

An "old" friend....

Yesterday (Wednesday) I met an "old" friend for lunch.

Rhoda was my bridesmaid 22 years ago. A few years after I moved to Denmark, she moved to Scotland. The last time I saw her in person was about 9 years ago when she was on business in Denmark and came to stay with us for a few days. 

Well for once we both were home in Northern Ireland at the same time and so we decided we just had to meet up, if only for a few hours. 

I did something I have never done before in Ireland. I took the train to Ballymena! I got there in one piece! (Only had a problem getting the train doors opened! Didn´t realise you just pressed a button! haha) Rhoda drove to Ballymena to meet me. Her mum came along too. It was lovely to see her mum again. It has been years since we last saw each other too. 

We had a lovely lunch together. I really enjoyed seeing them both. We did a little bit of shopping too and ended the afternoon at a wonderful craft shop. (Took us a while to find it, but find it we did!!)


Rhoda and her mum had been telling me about how they had started to crochet. I remembered my granny teaching me to crochet when I was about eight years old but I have not crocheted in years, in fact I couldn´t tell you how to crochet now! But they got me interested in it again, so guess what I bought.......


Yes, a crochet needle and a ball of wool!! Let the crocheting begin!! And it did. We found a wee cafe and while waiting on our tea and cake I had my lesson in crocheting. Ummh it was harder than I remembered and I must admit, things didn´t go to well with it. In the end I had to rip out everything I had done because it was not a pretty sight. It´s a good thing we have youtube - help is at hand! I am not giving up just yet!


Last night our friend Garvin dropped by for a wee cup of coffee and we had a lovely evening chatting and eating far too much cake!!


Today was dad´s day. I had decided that Dad could decide what we should do today. It was the one day he didn´t need to go to the hospital or stay in for blood. 


 I thought we could go and see the new Titantic exhibition but dad thought we should go to the Ulster Museum instead as it was free to get in!! (haha he has Scottish blood in him!) 


First we went over to visit his neighour Ellen to say Happy Easter to her. It was then home to get ready for our wee trip out but dad was feeling a bit breathless and so decided it might be better for him to just stay at home. Dad decided he would spend the time making DVDs of old home movies of Sara, Andrew and Leah for me to take home.


Since dad didn´t want to go anywhere I decided I would head into town to buy Kristian and the kids their favourite sweets to take back to them. I think this is the first time I have been in Ireland and haven´t been in Primark!! I couldn´t be bothered going in today. It was straight to pound stretcher for the sweets and then to M&S to stock up on dinners for dad. 


I can´t believe that it is already tomorrow that I go back to Denmark:-( The week has just gone too fast!

No comments: