Friday 8 February 2013

A special day

 Today was dad´s funeral and we wanted the service to be a celebration of his life and that it was! 

There were about 270 people in the church, all of them there because dad  had somehow  touched their lives.  He left a great testimony behind him. People had such wonderful things to say about him and I could only agree with everything. It really made me proud to call him my dad. He was a wonderful dad, granda, father-in-law and friend.


 There was only one flower on the coffin which was from his family. That included his Danish family too. Kristian´s whole family wanted to be in on a flower. 

Otherwise people, instead of sending a flower, could send money that would be given to the Bridgewater Suite in the Belfast City Hospital. It was them that gave dad such a lot of care and support in the past couple of years.

 The service was so special and there was a lovely atmosphere in the church. Both ministers did a great job in the service. 

It is strange how you can feel so sad while yet feeling so happy. I am sad to have lost dad but so happy to know where he is.

.I think the hardest part of the day was the last hymn. We had picked "How great Thou Art" a hymn dad loved and that I also love. I love the words and when I started singing I could almost hear dad singing along in his deep voice. I could almost see him standing with his eyes closed and his arms raised in praise. Oh it was a hard hymn to get through. 

It was really special to meet people that I hadn´t seen in years and to be re-united with old friends. 

Now I am exhuasted both physically and emotionally. I think it´s an early night for me. Tomorrow we will have a family day - just the 5 of us together enjoying being a family for a day. 

On Sunday, Kristian, Sara and Andrew will go home to Denmark again, I am going to miss them. Leah and I will stay here and get dad´s house packed together.


3 comments:

Charlene said...

Thanks Laura! That was really good being able to see and hear about the service. Your Dad was a real encourager, especially to Lewis. You had a Dad in a million and he absolutely adored you

Etta Wils said...

it was good to be there Laura - a real tribute to your dad's friendship and encouragement to so many people. love, E

Laura said...

Thanks Charelene:-) Thanks Etta:-) I so enjoyed the service, if you can say that about a funeral...but it was just so dad. He was one in a million and I am going to miss him <3