Saturday 6 July 2013

Happy 4th of july!!

My neighbour Laura is American so we  were going to celebrate the 4th of July together. She had invited us for a BBQ so she provided the food and we provided the grill, table and chairs. 

At work I printed some American flags and hung them around the place,  to try and make it all look a bit more festive. 


Andrew wasn´t home. Guess where he was?  Yeah, a romantic date with Camilla! 

Leah was at work - poor girl had to miss out on all the fun at home.



We had a delicious dinner together and just enjoyed each others company.

Meanwhile Shadow (our cat) had found a baby bird that had fallen out of its nest and she was playing with it. The poor wee bird was still alive - it was awful! Nature is cruel!  

We got Shadow of the bird. We didn´t know what to do, should we kill it and put it out of its misery? Was it badly hurt or could it survive? We just couldn´t kill it. We decided to try and save it and made a nest for it and fed it some water. Unfortunately the wee thing died a short time after - probably better for it. 

At 9pm I went to get Leah and bought a load of ice cream to take home. Meanwhile Laura had made meringues nests with strawberries and blueberries. I came with the ice cream and we put that on top of the fruit! So delicious! Leah at least got to be in on the dessert!



Now for a funny story.....

Yesterday was my last day at work. I now have holiday for 4½ weeks! 

Laura wanted to do something special for me so she thought she would make a sign to wish me a happy last day at work!

Now she knew I left for work at around 6.40am and so she thought she would get up just after 6am and go for a walk down the road. There are a few trees here and there and she would hide behind one of the trees. She would pick a tree where she could see the car coming at a good distance, so she could jump out in good time. 

So off she went. She found her position and waited. 

My car is a light blue Chevrolet Spark. At 6.47am a light blue Chevrolet Spark came over the hill and down the winding road. Laura got ready to surprise me. She waited till I got close - but not too close - she didn´t want to shock me too much and get knocked down.  

At the right moment she jumped out from behind the tree and started to dance like an idot in the middle of the road, holding up the sign "Happy Last Day"  She danced her heart out! hahaha

As the car got closer she suddenly realised that it wasn´t me in the car!!! hahaha It was an older man who was looking at her with a state of shock on his face. He slowed down a little, gave her the weirdest look, a slight wave with his hand and took off again! hahaha 

You see there are two ways that I can go to work. When we moved here I did go the way that Laura was standing. I remember us talking about it once, way back when we moved in. She was saying how hard it was to see out of the car window in the morning when going to work, because she was driving in the direction of the sun.  I told her I didn´t have that problem because I went the opposite way. 

However I quickly found out that going that way took longer because of a set of traffic lights that made you wait 2-3 minutes! (and I am always late in the morning so I don´t have 2-3 minutes to spare!) I never told Laura that I had changed the way I go to work! Why should I??? hahaha Now I am soooo glad I didn´t! haha

When she came in yesterday and told me the story I thought I was going to die laughing! She gave me a demonstration of the dance! (and since she was just out of bed she had on the weirdest mixture of clothes!) I wonder what that poor man thought!?  

Maybe he thought someone had escaped from a mental hospital! Maybe he thought it was dooms day and this was HIS last day on earth! I wonder if he told anyone about his experience!? hahaha

Miranda could use this in one of her TV series....it was a real Miranda moment! hahahaha

I just love my neighbour! 

No comments: