Sunday 27 September 2009

A weekend with butterflies...

....butterflies in my stomach!!

Saturday evening there was a man called Tony Anthony coming to speak at our school. He is the author of the book "Taming the Tiger" which is a story about his life, - and what a life he has had!! If you havent read the book I really recommend it. Without giving too much away I will tell you that he had a horrific life and ended up in prison. He was scum, as he himself says, yet God reached down and touched his life.


So why were there butterflies in my stomach? Well it was because I had to lead the meeting along with one my colleagues. I was soooo nervous. I was really wishing I could just go and sit at the back with Kristian and enjoy Tonys testimony.

The meeting went really well and Tony had such a stronge testimony. There was something for everyone to take home and think about. For me, I was struck by Gods love - how much God really loves us. (yet again I am reminded of this!) How much He loved Tony when we "normal"and "nice" people would have gone out of our way to avoid Tony and his type, yet Gods arms were long enough to reach him and his life was totally turned around.

Above is the crowd waiting for the meeting to start. There were 400 chairs set out and a few more had to be set out before the meeting began.
Tony was such a lovely man. He seemed really humble. One "funny" thing was, the man that told him about Jesus in prison was a man from Northern Ireland, from Carrickfergus. Tony was in prison in Cyprus and this man was there living with his wife. It really was a great evening. (Get his book - Taming the Tiger!)
Then came the butterflies again. Why? Cause Leah had to sing in church, but it was not so much that that gave me butterflies, it was more the fact that I had to play the piano while she sang. Normally she sings with backing music or her Aunty Signe playing. But this morning, well the standard of playing dropped to an all time low, cause she was stuck with me!

But she did a good job and I somehow managed to hit the right notes and hold the right rhythm:-)


3 comments:

lisa said...

Well done Leah and well done you! I must get that book sometime, sounds fascinating. Glad you had a good weekend.

Stuart and Pauline said...

Sounds like a very interesting weekend Laura.

Funny that her heard about Jesus from someone from the home isle!!!

I was going to tell you that today Alice told me she doesn't like butterflies, but likes ducks. Apparently ducks are her favourite animal.

Karen Templeton said...

I am sure you and Leah did a great job Laura. Your music and singing probably touched as many people as Tony Anthony's testimony.

His story sounds amazing. I must check for the book on Amazon.

It was great to hear that someone from good old Northern Ireland helped Tony on his journey to becoming a christian.