Tuesday 25 May 2010

Leahs bike....

is gone!!! It was stolen from our door sometime during the night!!! It was locked, she has a lock that when its open the key stays in it, and when its locked the key comes out...and she has both her keys, so we know that she didnt forget to lock it. She was sooo sad when she discovered it was gone.

Saras bike also got stolen. She got a beautiful bike for Christmas....it was a bike that costs around £500 from new. We got it for £20 through Kristians work. He works for an insurance company, so when the police find stolen things it gets sent to the insurance company. The insurance company have already paid out the insurance money to their customer, so the found items are legally theirs so what they do is hold a sale for their employee´s. There is about 1400 people who work there so you put your name on the item that you want, then a draw is made and if your name is picked you get to buy the object.

Well just before Christmas Kristian saw this beautiful bike and knew it was an exspensive make. He put his name down for it and won. He was able to buy it for £20. Sara needed a bike and so that was a surprise for her for Christmas....well Sara had the bike for 14 days before it was stolen from the train station, like Leahs it had the same lock and Sara had her keys which proves she had locked it.

Leahs bike should be covered by the insurance, we have all the papers etc. Saras unfortunately was not covered as we had nothing on her bike.

Not so long ago the Danish TV put a tracking device on a popular bike and filmed how people stole it. It was amazing to see how organised it was. They put the bike into a van, took it to a workshop and got the lock taken off, put on a new lock and then put it in the second hand newspaper for sale. The lies the woman and man told was wild, they denied everything until the TV people showed them all the evidence that they had against them.

So thats our news for today..... Looks like the next few weeks will be spent out looking for bargins. Let the bike hunt begin¨!!!!

13 comments:

Stuart and Pauline said...

I'm really sorry to hear that Laura. That is really horrible. I had my car stolen (on the day of my graduation too!!!). That was 13 years ago and I still panic a little if I can't see the car where I've parked it. I really hope you manage to get Leah one!!!!

lisa said...

Oh no thats so awful! Its horrible to think that theres people out there doing things like that, it makes me sick! I remember years ago working with a guy and we were chatting about exercise and I said I would love to get a bike and cycle to work but I couldnt afford it and he asked me what kind of bike I wanted and said to give him a day or two to get it!!!!! Unbelievable!! Needless to say I didnt take him up on his 'kind' offer!!

But try to keep your eyes open for it, it might not be an organised thing this time, it couldve just been local kids. That happened to my nephew and we saw the boy riding about on his bike, as bold as brass!! I of course grabbed him and took the bike back off him!

Laura said...

Aw thanks girls....hopefully we will find a good bargin some day soon - she misses it soooo much. I dont think we will see it around the place here, it was there when Kristian came home around 11.30pm and wasnt there the next morning. Years ago Saras bike was stolen and we found it again, but we knew that she hadnt locked it so it was more likely kids or someone "borrowed" it just to get home and then dumped it, so a few times we found Sara´s bike...but this one was locked. Anyway, hopefully we will find another bike that she loves.

Rhoda said...

Stealing just annoys me so much! It does leave a horrible feeling, never mind the cost and inconvenience.

I've no doubt that you'll soon pick up a bargain and hopefully it will be even better than the one that Leah got stolen.

Rhoda said...

Laura I love the way you make up where to put an apostrophe:-) Leah's and Kristian's and Sara's all need one. Employees doesn't:-)

Laura said...

Thanks for the help with my english Rhoda!! hahahah I will never learn it - I just stick them in here and there hahaha sometimes i remember and sometimes I dont!! hahaha i just sort of go with the flow!!! hahaha but I get it, employees doesnt need it cause its plural right?!! and leahs and saras does cause its singular right?!!! hahaha I am so brain dead, I wonder how I get out of bed in the morning!!!! hahaha

Laura said...

Thanks for the help with my english Rhoda!! hahahah I will never learn it - I just stick them in here and there hahaha sometimes i remember and sometimes I dont!! hahaha i just sort of go with the flow!!! hahaha but I get it, employees doesnt need it cause its plural right?!! and leahs and saras does cause its singular right?!!! hahaha I am so brain dead, I wonder how I get out of bed in the morning!!!! hahaha

Rhoda said...

LOL - you're welcome on the free English lesson Laura:-)!

You've nearly got it . . . . but not quite! Leah's Sara's and Kristian's need an apostrophe because they are showing possession not because they are singular.
So: the bike of Leah = Leah's bike

You've needs an apostrophe coz it is joining 2 words together and leaving out some letters - ie You have.

And employees - yeah that just a good old plural, no missing letters, no possession just more than one employee:-)

Here's some to test you - you decide if they need an apostrophe or not!

Youre very clever!
Danes like bikes
Their friends came round
Andrews bike
All the Lauras I know have bikes.

Stuart and Pauline said...

Rhoda, you are very funny. As much as bad punctuation annoys me, I'm not sure I would ever give my friends a lesson. However, am glad that you have more gumption than me.

Also to and too. I kind of think of the extra o as extra emphasis. So if the word sounds like it has more emphasis it's too and the word sounds longer.

I have to go.

I have to go too.

Rhoda, have you read Eats Shoots and Leaves? I love that book.

Can you teach me the difference between affect and effect? I had an hour's long lecture on it and still don't get it.

Also on the apostrophe front.

Three weeks' time. Gets one.
Last night's meeting.

Also as regards belonging, if there is an S at the end of the word you put the apostrophe after it.

Alice's doll
James' book.

If it's a plural and belonging the apostrophe goes after the S.

The two James' books.

I'll stop there. Getting a bit bogged down and complicated now.

Rhoda what have you unleashed!??!!!?

Rhoda said...

LOL Pauline - I was hoping to get Laura mastering the basics before I went on to the complicated ones:-)!!!!!

Message to Laura!!!!

IGNORE PAULINE'S POST . . . . . for now!:-)))))

Rhoda said...

In answer to your question Pauline (sorry was away on Twitter!!!)

Affect is NEARLY always a verb. Except in psychology.
Effect is NEARLY always a noun. Except when it's having a direct effect on a noun!!!!!!!
Why in the world that is the case I have no idea, nor why it should have survived this way!!!!! And do I get them right? Probably occasionally by luck!

LOL Just don't ever write them, and you'll be fine!!!!!!!!!

Don't you just love the wee idiosyncrasies of English!!!

Laura said...

Laura is screaming!!! AAAARGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!! IGNORING ALL POSTS!!!!!! BRAIN IN OVERDRIVE!!!!! SMOKE COMING OUT OF EARS!!!!!!AAAARGGGGHHHHHH!!!!! hahahahahaha

It most really test your patients or is that patiences ??? Rhoda and Pauline to read my blog hahahahahaha with all my bad grammar hahaha U two are precious!!! Ok away to work!

lisa said...

STOPPPPPPPPPPP'''''''!!!!!!! s's's's's's'''''ssss!!!!!