Saturday 14 November 2009

A few looooong days!!

We were having a Christmas Bizarre today at our school, so the last few days have been busy preparing for that. Already yesterday morning (Friday) you could feel a buzz around the school. As soon as 12 o´clock arrived the school day finished and all the kids started to help get things ready. Parents, grandparents and friends arrived and there was just organised chaos everywhere!! It was great fun:-)

I spent the afternoon cutting up vegetables for 25 litres of minestrone soup and I managed to do it without cutting any fingers off!!

Friday sure was a long day at work. It started at 7am and ended at 5pm. Last night I ended up crashed on the sofa trying desperately to keep my eyes open. In the end I gave up the fight and went off to bed. I slept like a baby.

At the Bizarre there were all sorts of things to buy. Stalls with Christmas decorations, food, cakes,sweets, clothes, jewellery and books.

There was a huge flea market with all sorts of rubbish (as Kristian called it)!! haha Kristian warned me NOT to bring anything home. I didnt totally do as he asked. I came home with about 10 books which I got for about £4. Now that was a great bargin!


My job was to serve soup for a few hours. We had little cafés and restaurants set up over the school so people could buy all kinds of different foods. I was out in "KNASTEN" where the kids in the after school club, normally do their woodwork projects.



The smell in that wee house is sooo fantastic. It smells of wood! I love being in there! It is just so tiny and sooo cosy. We had cleaned the place up and put in extra tables. With a few tableclothes and candles here and there, it looked great.

It has an old stove in there, a wood burner. We made the soup on that and we baked bread in the oven. It sure was hard to regulate - the more wood on the fire the hotter the oven, then suddenly the temperature would drop and more wood had to be put in. I was loving it, I really felt like I had gone back in time! The stove, the wooden hut, the smell of wood and pine - I was half expecting Charles from The Little house on the Prairie to come home for dinner!! haha

5 comments:

Rhoda said...

Love the new look blog Laura - books how appropriate! (And glad you didn't delete it in the process!!!)

Flea markets are wonderful places - proud of you that you restricted yourself!

Looks like you had a busy day, but very satisfying eh:-)

Laura said...

It has been a very satisfying few days - but I sure am glad that every weekend is not like this!!! I am too old for being soooo busy. Hope you did something nice for ur anniversary......

Rhoda said...

Sorry to disappoint you, but no we didn't do anything. The young Australians were here they only left today. So we managed to totally ignore both the anniversary and birthday.

Laura said...

What date was your birthday? Happy belated birthday....I was waiting on facebook to remind me so I could send a greeting but off course it will never do that:-) I thought it was first 27th november...well when everyone goes you have to do something for ur anniversary and birthday - you really do:-)

lisa said...

Like the new look blog, what a surprise when I opened it up! I would love to go to the Christmas bizarre, I can wait until the Christmas Continental market starts here, love it!!!

Rhoda, I get the feeling you were relieved to skip the birthday and anniversary?