Wednesday 18 November 2009

The first taste of Christmas....

Tonight we had our first taste of Christmas - aebleskiver - a very Danish thing to eat from now until Christmas. They really are delicious, they taste a little like dougnuts, but yet they have their own special taste. They have a little of the same consistency as doughnuts, but are round in shape. You eat them with sugar, icing sugar or jam - you just dip the aebleskiver into whatever one you desire. I love them, but by the time Christmas comes, I must admit, I am tired of them - I over do it a bit with them:-)

Tonight the weather is wild - its blowing a gale and its raining. (What I call perfect weather!) I was just loving it, so that got me in the mood for the aebleskiver and hot chocolate.
Alessio also just had to try the Danish speciality - the rest of the family was very happy to help him out!! He really liked them.
Its been a really cosy evening!

6 comments:

Stuart and Pauline said...

Well, where's the recipe then??!!!

Is it just me, or does Alessio look part of the family already?!! Just throwing out there.

Laura said...

Ok Pauline here´s the receipe....

Go to the supermarket and buy 2 bags for £3 (on special offer at the moment) come home and warm them in the oven for 10 minutes at 200degrees...and there you have it! hahaha

I am sure you can find a receipe on the internet must look and see if I can find anything and translate it...they are really good.

Yes Alessio just fits in.
He scored lots of points with me yesterday. He, Sara and me had been up shopping. When we got home Sara got out of the car and ran up to the house (it was raining cats and dogs and blowing a gale) well this wonderful young man stood outside the car waiting on me to get out to open the boot so he could carry the bags of food up to the house for me. Now I was impressed - my own daughter went and left me to struggle but he helped me!!! hahaha

Rhoda said...

That's a good recipe!

I wonder if they are similar to something that they have in Holland, which you can buy on the street - if so they are delicious! Probably no calories at all . . . . . . . .

What a young gentleman eh? And he certainly knew how to score points:-)

Karen Templeton said...

Aebleskiver look yummy. What’s in your hot chocolate is it cream or marshmallows? It all looks delicious….comfort food! This time of year we get Egg Nog everywhere, it’s great at the beginning but by Christmas I can’t stand it.

Alessio is a handsome young lad; it looks like he fits right in and gets your seal of approval. Imagine your baby all grown up.

lisa said...

Everyone has said what I wanted to say! The recipe is great, Allesio fits right in and he sounds like a proper gentleman!

Angie said...

That's my kind of recepie - buy it and stick it in the oven!! Just be thankful you've never tasted my cooking. And could you send Alessio my way - got soaked the other night emptying the car!! It wasn't pretty! Enjoy the aebleskiver.