Monday 30 November 2009

Goodbye Denmark, Hello Sweden!!

For the last two years my friend Audry and I have gone out for a days Christmas shopping together. It has become a tradition. So today we both took the day off work and decided to head off to Sweden for a fun day of shopping.

Last year Kristian and I went to Malmo with his sister and husband, but Audry and I decided to head up to the north of Denmark and take the ferry across to Helsingborg in Sweden. The ferry was doing a special deal - a trip to one of Swedens big shopping centres for £4.50 return - that was with ferry crossing and a bus to the shopping centre.

So at 8.45am I picked up Audry and we headed up to the ferry. We had a bit of a job finding a parking place. The only parking we could find was for a maximum time of 3 hours and we were planning to shop for a lot longer than that!! After driving around for about 20 minutes (no joke!!) we finally found a parking space at the local library. Here there was no time limit!



We had a bit of a walk down to the ferry but it was through a really cosy town with lots of great shops to look in. Already here the shopping began!!

A 20 minute trip on the ferry and we were in Sweden. We found the bus that would take us to the shopping centre. It was all rather exciting!! haha

A ten minute bus ride and we were at the shopping centre. The bus dropped us off at the side of the motorway and while we were trying to work out how we would get across the road to the shopping centre we noticed something....IKEA!!! haha

Now many of you who follow my blog know that I often visit Ikea. Well, Audry is my Ikea friend. She is the one that always comes with me. We just love that place. You should have seen us both when we saw Ikea!! Joy unspeakable filled the road side!! haha




We finally discovered how to get across the road, there was a tunnel under the motorway and before long we were in this big shopping centre. Lots and lots of shops and lots and lots of hours of shopping before us. Two happy girls!!


We had a great time looking around. We must have literally walked miles today! We walked about the shopping centre from about 11.30am to 5.30pm. We only stopped for about 45 minutes to eat lunch!

We had no idea where to get the bus back to the ferry....so around 5.30pm we headed out to try and find it....but the temptation was too much!! There before us was Ikea, we just could not go back to Denmark without visiting a Swedish Ikea.



In the Danish Ikea Audry and I had a favourite living room that we always sat in when we went there. We would rest our weary legs and chat for 10 -15 minutes. We loved that living room. Then one day it was gone, they had re-decorated. Since that time we have been homeless in Ikea. We dont really like all the other living rooms, they are not our style, but today in Sweden we found a home again!! A living room we liked, so once again we rested our weary legs for 10 minutes.

After an hour in Ikea we headed out into the darkness to find home. We found the bus stop and not long after we were on a warm bus heading back to the ferry.

There was time for a quick McDonalds before heading unto the ferry. Yummie!! It has been a long but wonderful day. Thanks Audry - now what about next year - should we try Berlin??? haha

9 comments:

Angie said...

If I give you a list, would you like to do some shopping for me? I hate shopping!!!! Sounds like you had a brilliant day.

Laura said...

Hi angie great to hear from you!! We really did have a great day - just send me that list and I will do the shopping for you:-) No problem!!!

Anonymous said...

Jeg er grøn af misundelse ;(
I bliver nød til at samle en busfuld af købeglade kvinder til næste år:)
VI ER MANGE DER VIL MED!!! hahaha!!!!
kærlig hilsen Anne.

Laura said...

Du er altid velkommen:-) Vi må også laver en shopping tur engang

lisa said...

Looks fantastic! I wish we could just pop on a ferry and 20 mins later be in Sweden!! Brilliant! Trust you to go to Ikea, Anne we forgot that to in the addictions list!

Anonymous said...

sorry I promise to whrite in english,when I am on Lauras blog.My family thinks I am crazy, because I go around in the house and try to speak english all day long ;)
and Lisa, I just had to ask my dictionary what "addiction" means ;)
hahaha!!!
Love from Anne.

Rhoda said...

Thank you Anne - your English is so much better than either my Danish or than Google Translate!!!!!

Laura!!!! What can I say?! You go to Sweden for the day - I assume to try and find shops that are a bit different from the ones you normally go to, and you rave about IKEA?!?!?
Ok so I know that Sweden is the home of Ikea - but really come on?! And no doubt if you go to Berlin next year - you'll sniff out the Ikea there too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I despair!

lisa said...

I LOVE THE CHRISTMAS BLOG!!!!! Where do you find these things? Excellent!!!

Anonymous said...

Forgot to say. Love your blog Christmas background. Get me harder questions. Love. Dad xoxo