Wednesday 11 November 2009

Still too much Laura....

...yes I have discovered that there is still too much of me! (and I am not talking about my weight!!) Let me explain......

The other day in school at assembly a teacher shared a story about a man called Uwe Holmer. He was a minister in East Germany while it was still under the communist party and the leadership of Erinch Honecker. The Holmers had suffered under the Honecker regime because of their Christian faith. Their children had also been denied higher education because of the policies of Erich Honecker wife, who was Minister of Education.

When Erich Honecker was deposed as the ruler of East Germany in 1989, he left office as the most hated man in Germany. He was suffering from cancer, and needed medical attention. He had to vacate the official residence where he and his wife had lived comfortably for years. But, now, no one was willing to take them in. They were old, feeble, sick and disgraced. The Communist party, of which the Honeckers had been lifelong, loyal members, turned its back on them and so did their daughter.

Finally someone stepped forward to help, yes you guessed it - the minister Uwe Holmer. He opened his home to the Honeckers, even though he and his family, for years, had suffered under their regime. He put into practise the words of Jesus "Love your enemies."

Wow - that really spoke to me. That is real faith - true christianity! Love in action! It really made me think - would I do something like that? Could I open my home to a stranger, and to one who had made me and my family suffer for years?

I went around all day thinking about that - I really liked to think that I would do something like that. But then I thought about people I didnt like, people who annoyed me, pressed all the wrong buttons in me, people who had hurt me, and the more I put faces to "my enemies" the more I came to realise that if I was totally honest, I probably wouldnt do it. I probably would have a hard job opening my home to them.

Thats when I realised there is still too much Laura in me and not enough Jesus!
So Jesus and me have got some work ahead of us - but little by little every day He is changing me - so there is hope!!

2 comments:

lisa said...

What a great story. I would have to think long and hard too. Mmm, I'll get back to you on that.

Rhoda said...

That is a great story Laura, and as you say very challenging! At times we don't even want to put ourselves out for our friends never mind our enemies!!!!!!!!!!
Yes there's way far too much of me.
Thanks for sharing it.