Thursday 21 October 2010

Home from home....

Where exactly is home?

I am home again from home, if you get my drift! We arrived back in Denmark last night at 9.30pm and Kristian was there to pick us up. It was great to see him and Andrew again. Now I just have to settle back to life here again. Good job I have a few days holidays left for that.

Today I decided I would clear up and clear out things here at home. I sorted out my bookc case, sorted out my desk cupboards and drawers, all my teaching stuff plus all our videos and dvds. I also got some cupboards in the kitchen organised too. It sure felt good. Still more sorting out to do tomorrow.

Then this evening I settled down to watch a DVD. It was a film I picked up cheap a while back. I knew nothing about the film but I was not disappointed.

"Fried Green Tomatoes" is the name of the film. It´s about a woman called Evelyn who meets an old woman in an nursing home and develops a friendship with her. At each visit Evelyn hears, from the old lady, stories from her past. The old lady shares an amazing story about a friendship between two girls called Ruth and Idgie. Hearing the story changes Evelyns life. It is really a wonderful film! It will bring a smile to your face, and at times a tear to your eye. Totally recommend it. It is one film that I will watch again. If you liked "The Notebook" you will like this too.

14 comments:

Charlene said...

I should say glad your "home" but I'm not really - I'd rather you were here "home"! But I'm glad you're safe and sound and reunited with Kristian and Andrew. You are always so busy Laura -do you ever stop????
I think I'll your tomato thingy a miss. Your favourite films are like over ripe tomatoes, all mushy! I'll stick to my murder mysteries and conspriracy theories!

Laura said...

Well I would also rather be at "home" over there than here...it takes me a week or so to adapt!! haha

Oh this film is not so mushy, there is even murder and mystery involved in it. Sooooo good. You should really give it a go, if u see it cheap somewhere, buy it, I really don´t think you will regret it.

Hope Beth had a great birthday!!

Stuart and Pauline said...

I've seen this film and it is really good. Not the film I was expecting. Not as mushy!!!

I can't believe it's 25 years since Back to the Future came out. Guess who I went to see it with?

Rhoda said...

I think when you're Irish you always have two 'homes':)

Stuart and Pauline said...

Rhoda I wrote a poem about that. If I can find a link to it I'll put it on.

Stuart and Pauline said...

OK, went on our website, which I haven't been on in years. Here's the link to my poems, the one you want is Northern Ireland to me.

Stuart and Pauline said...

Of course, forgot to put the link!!! Doh.

http://www.sandpgrant.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/poems/default.htm

Laura said...

Tnanks for sharing Pauline - I really enjoyed that. I am teaching 9th graders on Tuesday because they are doing a theme about Ireland (Northern Ireland) and about the troubles etc....I might use your poem. would that be ok with you? I´m not sure if I can fit it in with everything else I am planning but just thought I would ask if it´s ok to use just in case I have time to do it. (If u don´t want me to use it, thats ok...no problem.)

Laura said...

Oh by the way, glad you enjoyed the film Pauline, it´s not mushy, just really good. I was really surprised....so who did you go to see Back to the Future with...the year would have been, let me see, 1985...it must have been Edgar...wasn´t that his name? Him from America...I remember it was cold when he was around so I take it, it was this time of year.....oh the memories:-) Where did you sit in the cinema? Back seat? Tell us more Pauline...hey what about ur diary, anymore updates from them? Would be fun to hear more.

Stuart and Pauline said...

Laura, you are more than welcome to use the poem, I'm sure there are better ones out there though.

Spot on Laura, got it in one. It was indeed Edgar. We went on Boxing Day, sat holding hands. Then on the way home on the bus it started snowing and he'd never seen snow before. We got off the bus and walked home in the snow!!!

Rhoda said...

Good poem Pauline - just about captures the Norn Iron we grew up in:)

But I have to say I was laughing so much looking through your wedding photos . . . . not at the photos - some lovely ones (Your dress looked almost like a Lenga - without the duputta) No I was laughing at the descriptions - they so totally stated the obvious - so I started playing a game with myself, to see if I could work out what the photo was called, and about 90% of the time I was right:) I was looking at them on my phone, so I always saw the photo, before I scrolled down to see what they were called.
Lovely to see them:)

Stuart and Pauline said...

Rhoda, thanks about the poem. That's a real compliment, it's really difficult putting your stuff out there, because it feels really personal.

About the wedding photos, I can't remember what we put up. However, not going to go in and look. It's a bit too painful at the moment. Glad they gave you a laugh though.

What's a Lenga and duputta? It was a top and skirt.

Rhoda said...

It's what brides in Pakistan wear - a top and skirt, though theirs are mostly red. Though a Christian friend had a white one.

lisa said...

Fried green tomatoes at the whistle stop cafe! Brilliant! Im just catching up now, Pauline I read your poem years ago but I must go back in and have another read at some point.