Tuesday 26 October 2010

Mixed emotions....

So last weekend was filled with all sorts of mixed emotions.

I suppose it started on Friday. I was booked to go to the dentist at noon for a thorough check up of my awful teeth. What on earth was I doing going to the dentist when I had no pain?!! This was ME going of my own free will!! Was I crazy?! These and many more thoughts went through my mind as I got myself ready for the dreaded moment.

Well, glad to say, I survived the visit. She gave me a thorough going over and cleaned my stinky teeth. She told me everything that needed done (now that part I didn´t like!) and said she would send me a letter informing me about how much everything would cost.

The visit to the dentist had not been bad at all! I left there a happy woman, not to mention a little proud (but in a good way!) haha. I had faced my fears and was still around to tell the tale. (oh, ok I know I am a little dramatic!!)

Friday evening Kristian and I had been invited out to our friends, Merete and Palle
for dinner. We had the most delicious food - Shrimp soup, followed by fish and new potatoes done in their skin with a parsley sauce. We ate far too much as usual! It was a lovely relaxing evening, one we really enjoyed.

Saturday morning saw us up at 7.30am and we are NEVER up at 7.30am on a Saturday morning! But we were on a Mission! Kristian´s brother Anders has sold his farm (sob, sob, sob) and they were having a jumble sale to get rid of the last things that were lying around. We were going down to help.


There was all sorts of things to buy. From horse equipment to washing machines.....


Toys, to old chairs and TV sets.


People came and went....some bought things, others didn´t. We were a bit disappointed that there wasn´t a huge amount of people all at the one time, we wanted to be busy all day long. But we weren´t. In the end Lis and I went inside and started to pack things in boxes ready for the move. Kristian and Anders watched "the shop."

I was sad leaving them on Saturday evening. This was our last time there. That farm has soooo many precious memories for us. Many special times have been had there with all of Kristian´s family. Many special times have been had there by us as a family. (We have had quite a few family holidays on the farm. We looked after their animals while they went on holiday. We loved it.)

Ah well, a new house awaits with new memories to be made.

That evening, when we arrived home, there was a letter waiting from my dentist. Now at first, Kristian and I thought it was a bill for the work she had already done on my teeth. The price in the letter being 13947,63kr!! (about £1550!!) BUT.... Kristian and I read it as 1394,763 (about £155!) "Well, that isn´t too bad" said Kristian "No, it´s not, I thought for sure it would have been more" I answered him. (Kristian went off to the loo!)

I then looked more closely at the letter and realised it was a quote telling me how much everything that I needed done would cost. My lightening quick brain, realised that something was not right! The numbers on the top of the page did not add up to just 1394,763. It was then I realised what the real price was!! SHOCK AND HORROR followed!

That was not the end. Behind that quote was another quote. The above quote was only for work that needed done immediately!! The other quote was for work needing done within the next 2-3 years. It was for.....wait for it.....17100,kr (about £1900) SHOCK AGAIN!!!

I am seriously considering going toothless!! I could get a wonderful new piano for that money! (Dad leave me your teeth in your will, - will you?!! haha)

So that was my weekend of mixed emotions!!

(Kristian now wishes he had checked out my mouth first, before he agreed to marry me!! haha)


6 comments:

Rhoda said...

Or at least he should have taken out insurance on your mouth - or failing that, sent you to the dentist every 6 months for a check up! What you are reading is probably 20 years work!!! Which divided over 20 years is about £95!!!! Actually if you had gone regularly probably the bill would only be half - which is about right!

Where are your b & s-i-l moving to? How come they've sold the farm?

Have you read 'Her daughter's hope' yet? I read it about a month ago - yes probably the week after it was published!

Rhoda said...

PS Does that mean the poor old horse is now safe from future attempts by the crazy Irish girl to ride it?

Charlene said...

Oh Laura - what a week. Did you know that if you buy a horse, the mouth is the first thing you check, before you make your purchase???? hahahha. I can't laugh though as I'm overdue a visit to the dentist. I'm not afraid of the dentist or what they'll do to me just how much they'll charge me!
I think change is harder as you get older - must be as you said, because there are so many more memories. hope next week is a little more sedate on the emotional side.

Laura said...

I honestly don´t think it would have helped me going every 6 months. I did that the first 10 years I lived here and always had bills for 400- 500 pounds a time. There was always something wrong!!! So they have got their moneys worth out of me!!

Stuart and Pauline said...

Laura, that's disgusting how much it costs, can you not get insurance or something. Here you can pay £15 a month and that includes a lot of treatment, not sure what treatment is doesn't include.

Did you pick anything up at your brother-in-law's?

lisa said...

Stop drinking Coke!!!! We all know how bad it is for our teeth and Ronnie taught a dentist to drive a few years ago and he asked him what is the worst thing ever for your teeth and he confirmed its coke, out of every single thing we eat or drink!

Thats very sad about the farm. I was thinking when I saw the photos if you bought anything, you know how you love a bargain!!