Monday 8 December 2008

Christmas shopping in Malmo

Today we had arranged to go to Malmo with Kristians sister Hanne and her husband Flemming. Even though we had the day off work, we were still up early. The kids all left for school and we left to drive down to meet Hanne and Flemming.

Then it was off to Malmo, Sweden for a day of shopping. We had a map of Malmo with things you could do and see. After seeing an advert for "Malmo´s Biggest Shopping Centre" we just had to check it out. Boy, were we disappointed!! It was so tiny!! haha
So we left there and headed into the heart of Malmo. There were lots of shops there, and it was really cosy. I loved the old buildings. We decided to split up for a while and meet up again for lunch, that way we would get more shopping done.


It was sooo cold so we found a shopping centre in the centre and wandered around there for a while, just trying to get warm.

The shopping centre was so beautifully decorated with loads of lights, and there in the middle of the shopping centre was Santa. I just had to go and have a chat....


I asked him if I could have my picture taken with him and he was more than happy - hey, I even got to sit on his knee. Was tempted to ask him if I could steal a kiss - but thought I better not, Kristian was after all taking the picture! haha
But he was a nice old man and I even understood his Swedish!

We met up again with Hanne and Flemming and went for lunch in a lovely restaurant. You can see it below. It´s the old building to the right. It was really beautifully decorated inside, and the food was delicious.


We then headed a little north of Malmo to another shopping centre that we had read about. It was bigger than the last one, so we spent the last couple of hours walking around there.
I got a few small things for the kids stocking.



We ended the day with coffee and hot chocolate before driving home to Denmark.

It has been a lovely day. We really enjoyed ourselves. Thanks Hanne and Flemming for inviting us along for the ride.

We realised something today. Out is good, but home is best! Having experienced Malmo/Sweden I would say that Denmark has a lot better shopping centres and a bigger choice of goods. It sure felt good going to a new place but it was also good to be heading home again to the place we know and love.

5 comments:

Rhoda said...

Looks like a lovely town - beautiful buildings.

Well done you for understanding 'Santa's Swedish'

The other thing about shopping locally is that you know where to go, and don't have to spend hours wondering round looking for the right place.

Who was that horrible person on Saturday night? I only got a bit of his 'chat' - does that happen often? Makes me think that you should all be making your blogs private, if he can get into a private chat room, then I think we all need to be careful - I know they are not totally secure, but at least people shouldn't be able to stumble on them.
Apart from that it was good to chat for a little on Sat:-)

Laura said...

I know he was a bit much - but I was able to press a button and "Ignore" him, so he coulnt communicate anymore.

He probably didnt find the chat through my blog - the chat is an "open private" cha, if you know what I mean...I have just a room on the chat website. So people log the chat website and then they can go into different rooms. If there is no-one in the other rooms and they see we are 5 in "my" room they pop in. They usually dont stay long and we can always press the ignore button and then they cant communicate with us.

But it was good to chat! I nearly forgot about it - glad I didnt

You´re right about shopping locally. I was out today in our local town and got nearly all the presents!! Brilliant!

Stuart and Pauline said...

So how far away is Malmo from you? It looked beautiful, but did remind me a bit of Stratford-Upon-Avon.

So what happened on Saturday night? I was really ill and so just couldn't. Who managed to log on?

Lorraine said...

I was on Pauline, Rhoda, Julie and then I went to bed very early - after 9, as Olivia had been up the night before with a stuffy cold thing and I was shattered.

I missed the strange person - must have been after that.

Malmo looks gorgeous Laura, I'd love the have been there shopping, it looked so very cosy!

Brian and I are out to our work Christmas dinner tonight. I'm just hoping I can stay awake past half nine!

Charlene said...

That looked so beautiful Laura. Poor Santa I'm sure his knee will never recover! ha ha.

Enjoy your night out Lorraine - and remember not too may West Coast Coolers!