Tuesday 16 December 2008

Earthquake hits Denmark

Honest - we had an earthquake at 6.20am and I missed the whole thing!! Talk about being disappointed!!

I only found out about it when I came to work. Everyone was talking about it. Some of the teachers woke up because of it. It felt like someone was shaking their bed. Apparently the earthquake hit the area north of Copenhagen, where we live, and measured 4.7 on the Richter scale.

Sara rang me at work and asked me if I had felt the shaking. She had woke up and wondered what was happening. Her bed was shaking and she could hear things on her shelf hitting together. She couldnt work out what was going on, she sat up in bed and then the shaking stopped, so she thought she must have been dreaming and went back to sleep again.

What I would like to know is how on earth I missed it???? At 6.20am I was brushing my teeth and drying my hair (at the same time.) I know this, as I looked at my clock at 6.18am and thought I better get a move on...I still had wet hair and needed to leave in 6 minutes. So I had the hairdrier in one hand and my toothbrush in the other. I must have been sooooo involved in what I was doing that the earthquake passed me by.

Anyway you can be sure it was the talk of the school. Glad to say that we all lived to tell the tale.

2 comments:

Rhoda said...

Isn't that really annoying! To have an earthquake and miss it!!! I mean to say how often does an real earthquake hit!
I think it was Friday night here was to have been the biggest moon in 40 something years - you know a once in a life time thing. Well it was thick cloud, and you couldn't see a thing!
Maybe your head was too full of parties?
Which reminds me that picture of you as an old man was priceless - you really looked the part - scarily so!!!!

Stuart and Pauline said...

Laura, maybe with your hairdryer and toothbrush and all the energy you were expending getting ready for work, caused the earthquake. So you were the earthquake, hence you couldn't feel it. I think I've been watching too much Heroes.