Tuesday 2 December 2008

Please pass me a tissue....


....I needed a box of them last night. What happened? Let me tell you...


It all started yesterday afternoon. I bought a magazine on the way home from work because there was a free DVD with it. The DVD was called "The Notebook" - maybe some of you have heard of it?

So last night I decided to go to bed early, take my laptop into bed, and watch a little of the DVD. I wasnt expecting it to be good - so I thought I would watch ½ hour, then turn it off. But how wrong I was. I was captivated by the story right from the start.


It was a passionate film about love. Let me tell you about it without giving the plot away...(if I can!)

Duke, an old gentleman reads a story from "The Notebook" to a old lady suffering from early stages of Alzheimers. (The film is about the story he is reading.) The notebook he is reading from, tells the story of a 17 year old girl called Allie. (It´s set around 1940) She is from a wealthy family holidaying for the summer in a small town. In this town lives Noah. He comes from a poor family and works in the local saw mill. From the moment Noah see´s Allie he falls head over heels in love. He pesters her until she agrees to go on a date...and they both fall madly and passionately in love. Typical, I hear you say. Yes maybe, but the actors play the parts so well, so passionately, so wonderfully. I was away in the film - I was Allie who was in love with Noah (haha) The film is a story about their lives. It´s a story about love and how strong the bond of love is, no matter what age you are. (I wont tell anymore - go rent it or buy it - but only if you are into romantic films!!)

I started crying from about half way through and I cried and I cried, not because I was sad, (althought there was a few sad moments) but because their love was just soooo beautiful!


When the film finally finished it was mid-night and I had a sore head and sore eyes from crying! I packed the computer away and settled down to sleep, but as I lay their in the dark, I thought about the film again and the more I thought about it, the more beautiful I thought their love was and I would start crying all over again. I tell you, my pillow was soaking!! haha


Finally I fell asleep! So for all you romantic hearts - if you want to see a film that will touch your heart, see this. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. I going off now to see it again!

8 comments:

lisa said...

Ive seen it 3 times - fantastic!!! I cried buckets too so your not alone! If any of you havent seen it, do, but with a box of hankies beside you!!

Laura said...

hahahaha Lisa - I actually thought of you when I saw it last night. I thought it might be one you would like!!

Isnt it brilliant!! They had a wonderful love.....ahhhhhh here I go again.

Rhoda said...

Bet one tissue was not enough Laura!

lisa said...

Its soooo good!! Nearly crying again thinking of the end!!! Ahhhhh.........

Lorraine said...

The girls in work love it too. Kristine in work has told me not to watch it because I'll cry too much! I cry even when they tell me about films and things they've watched on tv and I haven't seen them!!

Glad you enjoyed it. It sounded great. I'm going to the cinema tonight to see Four Christmases. I can't wait. Has anybody seen it?

Ruth said...

Laura

I read the book and cried til I was sore! My husband has banned me from getting the DVD incase I have a relapse!!! He thought there was something seriously wrong with me!! It’s the saddest book I’ve ever read. I’ve just bought The Boy In The Stripped Pyjamas but I haven’t started reading it – that’ll be another howler I think!

Laura said...

We need to have a girlie night with all these sad films and a box of tissues!!!

I have never heard of four christmases Lorraine - but I am going in to google it and see the trailer.

Hi Ruth good to hear from you...oh you have to see the film - you will cry your eyes out. It is just brilliant!! Let us know how the other book goes....The boy in the stripped pyjama´s, isnt that the film you saw Lisa were you cried sooo much.

Oh how I wished I lived near to all you lot - we would have book clubs and film nights and lisa, pauline and rhoda could bake cakes for us all to stuff our faces on!!

Charlene said...

Right girls that's enough of the boo hooing. I'm going to have to did out something funny and post it. I think I'd rather have tears of laughter!