Wednesday 28 January 2009

Bargins galore....

Anyone that knows me well knows I love a bargin. I think I must have Scottish blood in me, cause I dont ever pay full price for anything (if at all possible). For example....

Just after Christmas my friend Laura came by and we got talking about DVD´s. I happened to say that I had bought Polar Express for Leah for Christmas and how we really enjoyed it. She then asked if I had bought it in the bookshop in town. I said "NO way - they are too exspensive, I picked it up in the supermarket on sale for 30kr (about £3)" The look on her face was priceless.

She had paid £20 for it in the book shop. She had bought it as a present for someone. She then went on to say that the DVD she had bought had 2 DVDs in it, with some computer games on the one, so that was probably why it was so exspensive. I went to get ours to check it out. It had exactly the same. Poor Laura could have kicked herself for paying so much and she could have strung me up for telling her how cheap I got, exactly the same DVD.

Then, just after Christmas, I went into one of the local clothes shops to have a look around. I came out with a 2 new pairs of jeans, and 3 blouses for £25. (£20 of this was a gift card that I had got for Christmas, so I was literally only out £5.) When I came home and counted what the clothes would have cost without the discount it came to 1450kr (about £140) Now that´s what I call a bargin!!

I had my eye on a pair of boots. They cost 299kr (about £29) - I got them a few weeks ago for 75,-kr (about £7.50) Sometimes its worth wating for things.

So that brings me to my next story....Yesterday on the way home from work I went into the supermarket to buy 2 litres of milk. That was all I needed. But that wasnt all I came home with.

For about a year now we would have liked a navigation system for the car, especially me as I am forever getting lost. But I always thought they were a little too dear and well, there were other things we needed more than that. Then yesterday in the supermarket I saw a Route 66 navigation system for 600kr (£60) the orginal price was 2995kr (nearly £300!!) My eyes nearly popped out of my head! (Bargin, bargin, bargin, was flashing in my eyeballs - haha) There were only 2 on the shelf-so I grabbed one and put it in my basket. Then it was on the phone to Kristian. I got him on the internet to research it - was it any good? All the reviews he was reading about it gave it top marks, and the price on other websites was 3000kr, on one website it even cost 3500kr so guess what - I bought it!!! I just couldnt resist.

So we have a navigator system - I cant get lost now - can I??? I havent tried it out yet, but looking forward to the weekend to give it a go!!

So if I added up all the money I saved this month, well, its alot! I just dont want to think about the money I had to spend so I could save all that money!!!!!!

10 comments:

john and julie mcbride said...

just a quick one to tell you rhondas wee nanny died on monday

Laura said...

awh I´m sorry to hear that- thanks for letting me know Julie. that was annes mum??? Mrs sloan??

john and julie mcbride said...

Yes, it was Anns mum. I got intouch with charlene and she is going on the 7th

Rhoda said...

Nothing like a good bargain Laura - but as you say it's a shame you have to spend so much money to get the bargain!!!!
So now when you have to take one of your children to a house in the middle of the countryside, and then find someone else's house - you'll be able to do it, without phoning Kristian . . . providing of course it doesn't take you up a dead end somewhere! We have a tomtom, and in Glasgow it wanted us to turn right into a street that didn't exist - but it took it right to my sister's house in London, and right to friends both in Southampton and Reading with no bother at all!!! Just seems to be locally that it gets confused!

Laura said...

I know Rhoda - I am not sure if I trust it totally...but it will probably do a better job than I can reading a map!

Looking forward to trying it out. (Thank goodness its pay day tomorrow - half my pay is already gone!! haha so I need to be really strick next month.

Hej Julie - so glad you got in touch with Charlene and that she can come on the 7th. See you all then!!:-) Cant wait!!

lisa said...

Julie do you know if Rhonda is going on the 7th?

Rhoda said...

It's actually kind of scary Laura, when you first use it, I mean realising that your position can be pinpointed in outer space! What else can be known about you????

lisa said...

8 days to go!!!!!!!!!!!

Laura said...

I know Lisa I can hardly wait!!!!!! I really cant believe that I am going home!!

Rhoda said...

Ha you can take a girl out of Ireland, but you'll never take Ireland out of the girl! Yes Laura I too talk about going home, and I like you have been away a long time! One day I heard an old woman speak in the Post Office in East Kilbride she had a very strong N.Irish accent, I said "That's a great accent you've got there" She said "I'll keep it till I get a better one!" She must have been in her mid 80's and had been here 60 years!
I too wish I was meeting up with you all next week, but hey ho that's life!