Friday 9 January 2009

Parlez vous francais?

....Do you speak French? No?!! Well neither do I, but oh how I would love to learn! (Although some people seem to think that I should learn to speak Danish properly before I attempt another language!!)

So why the interest in learning to speak French? Well, maybe it´s because we are going camping in France this summer. YIPIEEEEE!!! We booked our holiday today - 10 days in France.

We are going to a campsite situated in the Jura mountain region. It´s a campsite called Domaine De Chalain (
www.chalain.com) and it is very close to the Swiss border - not too far from Geneve. We have actually been there 3 times before and we have LOVED it every time. The last time we were there was in 2005! It is such a beautiful campsite - clean, organised and right down by the Lake Chalain, which is so beautiful. Have a look at some of the pictures....





One time when we were there we actually got a tent really close to the lake - it was so beautiful to sit out and eat breakfast looking down at the lake... or in the evenings sit and watch the sun go down....Ah - I can hardly wait!!
They have also got an excellent swimming pool for the kids. The thing I like about it (although you cant see it in the picture) is that behind the swimming pool there is a beautiful nature area, that raises up into the cliff....with a wee stream running down through it. So you can be sitting under a tree or in a really grassy area, near the stream and still be in the swimming pool area to keep an eye on the kids. There is also a good indoor pool.




I couldnt resist putting in the picture below. It is Andrew probably about 7 or 8 years old, enjoying the last part of the day down at the lake. We always went down there at sunset and the kids had a final swim before going to bed....


What are my two girls like??? I cant believe it´s them - they have gotten so big since this picture was taken, just another one I couldnt resist putting in! haha - Ahhhh, memories!!

I was actually in favour of going to Italy. I wanted to try some good pizzas!!However when I asked the kids where they wanted to go they replied ...."Lac De Chalin!" Kristian had already hinted that he would like to go back there, but I was hoping the kids wanted to try somewhere else....like Italy. I tried to bribe them with promises of brilliant pizzas and ice-cream, but no, nothing was changing their minds. (And if I am totally honest - I love Lac De Chalain as well - so it really didnt take too much to change my mind!) So Italy will have to wait! Camping in France won!!
Now I have to go and look out my "Learn French" computer lesson. This year I AM going to learn French!!!

12 comments:

lisa said...

Bonjour mon ami! Ca va?

Wow - its so beautiful! Only one problem for me though, you have to sleep in a tent, i dont do camping! If it doesnt have at least 3 stars & an ensuite bathroom I cant sleep there! It comes from living 3 years in a caravan whilst we were building our house, now I cant go without my luxuries!

Au revoir!

Rhoda said...

Ca Va Bein merci et toi?

Laura that camp site looks fantastic - I would be tempted my self:-) Doesn't sound like it was too much of a hardship to persuade you to go there! I'm assuming you drive? If so how long would that take?


Anybody got any ideas for a nice place to go to for up to a couple of weeks before the end of March? I still have two weeks holidays to use, and would like to go somewhere warm - not hot, just warm!

Rhoda said...

PS fantastic picture of Andrew! And my haven't your girls grown up quickly!

Stuart and Pauline said...

Oui, je parle le francais, un petit peu.

Oh holiday in France, again I don't think I would go camping, but find a gite somewhere. I like it to be quiet and not disturbed when I go on holiday and so we go to cottages in the middle of nowhere.

No ideas where you could go Rhoda, I would be going somewhere cold that time of year.

lisa said...

Rhoda, Ive no idea where you could go, I love Prague and Amsterdam but not sure about the end of March weather-wise. Last year my friend was in Prague in Feb & it was freezing, I was there in June and was roasted alive! South of Spain is always a good bet but dont know how far you want to travel. It was 27deg in Valencia yesterday!! Now thats my kind of holiday!

Laura said...

I am impressed with you Rhoda, and you too Lisa and your knowledge of the French language.....and I even understood it!! there is hope for me yet hahaha.

Yes we drive down there..it takes about 14 hours. We usually do it over 2 days on the way down, (and 1 straight run on the way home, usually we drive all night on the way home.)But on the way there we usually drive to Kassels in Germany and overnight in a wee motel there, then after breakfast drive to the camp site....usually there for about 2 in the afternoon - again it depends on how many stops we make. The last time the kids just wanted to get there and we had wonderful comfortable car with lots of room so we drove none stop for like 4 hours. Everytime we said we should stop the kids were like....No no keep going we want to get there.....it really is a beautiful campsite.

What about Italy for your break away - or somewhere like corfu??

Stuart and Pauline said...

Yeah, Laura, what's wrong with my French then?!!!

Rhoda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rhoda said...

Rien Pauline!

Laura said...

hahaha sorry pauline I actually wrote my comment around 5.00pm but didnt post it. I went and made dinner then we went out...but my computer was still open with the comment page up...then when I came home I just hit the "Publish your comment" button and posted my comment...had not seen your wonderful French!!at the time I wrote there was only Rhoda and Lisa´s - but I am impressed!!! HONEST

Stuart and Pauline said...

Well that's alright then Laura. Phew, I thought there was something wrong with my French.

Laura said...

Ok Rhoda here is an idea for a holiday - Madeira island....my boss is going there in April and it apparently has a mild temperature all year round. It rarely goes below 16 degrees....and he thinks it will be about 20 degrees in April....so maybe something you should check out. I think you fly to Lisbon in Portugal and then fly to the island from there. It looks nice, the pictures I have seen....anyway just an idea. (dont know how cheap or dear it is to travel there though??)