Saturday 24 January 2009

A day of culture!!

It´s been a day full of culture experiences.

Mia, Leah and me were going to collect Mia´s mum (Laura) and we were going to one of the local Culture Centres to hear some irish folk music and see some irish dancing.

The centre was really lovely - there was a cafe, a gallery, a cinema, a music school and then the stage area were different people perform on a Saturday.



The music was great and the dancing was really good. I am just so amazed at how easy they make irish dancing look. How light they were on their feet and the guy could jump really high - and so gracefully too. Leah and Mia were amazed at it all and they seemed to really enjoy themselves.


When it was finished we headed home to Lauras for some lunch. The irish dancing made an impact on the girls and they spent the rest of the afternoon making up their own irish dances.

Laura is another one of my firiends that loves to cook and bake. So while we were there today, she baked som Lemon squares. They were delicious.

The two girls enjoyed eating their lemon squares while sitting in a cardboard box!
Laura and I then spent the rest of the afternoon sorting out our receipe books....writing down new receipes and just generally trying to get our receipes sorted into some sort of order. We have been planning this for a whole year - so it felt great to actually get started on it today. Still a bit to go, but at least we started.

Finally we headed home after a wonderful day with Laura and Mia.
After dinner tonight Leah and I decided to try and bake the lemon squares for ourselves. It was a bit of a job following the receipe as all the measurements were America, so they used cups instead of grams. (and I dont have an America cup measurement) I was sure it was going to be a disaster, but the Lemon squares actually turned out great.
Now I´m in bed and beside me is Leah. She fancied a night with mum in her bed so asked her dad if she could swap beds with him - she could sleep with me and he could sleep in her bed. So while I am writing this Leah is lying writing in her diary all about her day. Rather cosy....
The two big ones have gone for the evening. Sara is down staying with her cousin Christine and Andrew is staying over at his friends Thomas. Weird only having the one kid at home....but I suppose it´s something we have to get used too.

11 comments:

Rhoda said...

Well Laura, there you go you now know the secret of what you need to bake - you need to use American recipes!!!:-)

Did you feel really Irish as you watched the Irish dancing? It's brilliant isn't it. Over here when they do it they all wear these stupid wigs, which I think just look ridiculous!

By the time you have only one child at home I don't think she'll be wanting to share a bed with her mum! But hey it'll come quicker than you think.

It feels like it's back to just the four of us reading the blogs - or at least commenting. Wonder have we done something to scare them all off!:-)

Rhoda said...

PS meant to ask you where did you get your counter on the top of the blog?

Laura said...

It was really brilliant Rhoda - and I felt soooo irish!! also because the Danes are, what can I say, a quiet audience. Where as I was clapping and singing and dancing away....being very loud and irish!! haha

I think it is just us 4 checking blogs. I dont know what has happened to everyone - but I will keep faithfully blogging even if no one checks - I love blogging - it´s my wee diary, and I hate writing diaries but i love typing...so I will continue.

The wee counter thing on the top - I just went into goggle and wrote "free counters" and found a site - then you just copy the code and paste it in like you did for the wee graph thing.

Did you go to a Burns night last night??

Stuart and Pauline said...

How quickly time passes. There's you thinking about having the house to yourselves when all the kiddies have flown the nest and here's me adjusting to having to share our time with another person in our home. It'll come soon enough though and so just cherish each moment, eh!!

lisa said...

About 5-6 years ago, a guy I knew decided to start his own adults irish dancing class. Donna, myself and our friend Angela thought we would give it a go. (I did irish dancing as a child so knew bits and pieces). Jane is an irish dancing teacher with her own school so she didn't need to go! (Connor danced for a few years at Jane's school but he was the only boy and got a bit of stick at school so he gave it up). Well, it was an absolute hoot! We did our own individual dances, as well as couples and team dances. It gets you fit Im telling you! We entered competitions, and won quite a few medals between us! The team dances were the best, really good fun, having to get your timing exactly or it threw everyone out. In practice, it used to be so funny we would nearly be wetting ourselves laughing! But its amazing how professional you suddenly become when your on a stage in front of a packed audience! And we had proper costumes as well (the dresses are known as costumes). But no wigs!!! We ran a few charity nights at our own hall as well, with a proper ceilidh (pronounced kaylee) band, real fiddle-dee-dee music, everyone was up dancing! But it all had to end. Mark, the teacher, is a trolley dolly and was working for airtours at the time and he got a job with emirates airline and went to live in Dubai, so that was the end of that, but it was brill while it lasted.

Laura said...

Oh Lisa that sounds brilliant - i would have loved to have gone to that....how long ago was this??? I didnt know you did irish dancing - hey maybe you can teach us a few steps....we could get up on the tables at Speranazas hahaha

Rhoda said...

No Laura I didn't - I went to a 50th birthday party instead! The idea of a Burn's Supper does very little for me - can't say I'm a great fan of Haggis, nor sitting listening to Burns' Poetry - most of which I can't understand! No I am definitely not Scottish!!!!!

But a night of Irish Dancing now that would be another story:-)

Lisa I think it sounds brilliant being able to go to Irish Dancing classes. (Did it bring out the Irish in you? Ha Ha!) It would certainly keep you fit! If I could find a class here, where they didn't have to wear those stupid wigs I would go. I'm very impressed that you know how to spell ceilidh!

Pauline I've decided that 0 - 10 time goes really slowly, you know waiting for birthdays and Christmas etc takes forever. 10 - 20 it probably goes at the actual speed of it. 20 - 30 you notice a slight increase in how quickly it goes. 30 - 40 it very definitely picks up. Now that I am in my 40's it's just getting faster and faster! I remember Jan's (whose birthday party I was at last night) turning 40, and her saying to me "It's not too bad, I expected it to be worse" And now I've blinked and she's 50!

Laura I'm glad that you will keep on blogging, and Lisa & Pauline too - I really enjoy reading all your blogs and all the comments too! Maybe when you are over in a couple of weeks time, you'll be able to persuade the others that really they should stick at it! Oh I forgot is it Etta / Wills (sorry I'm not really sure what your real name is!) who reads them all as well. So it's not quite so sad as it first appears:-)

Rhoda said...

Just thinking of my last comment, it seems a bit like "10 green bottles . . . "

So by the way are you saying Danes are very restrained in their appreciation! I mean how in the world does anyone not sit and clap their way through Irish dancing / music?! That is a mystery:-)

lisa said...

I'll teach you a few steps no problem! Can hardly remember any but Im sure it will come back to me! Like riding a bike ha ha! It was about 5-6 years ago, I was a lot fitter then, I was only a practising chocoholic - now Im a professional!

Rhoda, I cant take the credit for spelling ceilidh, I googled it!!

Pauline it seems like only yesterday I was adjusting to life with Connor, now he will be 13 this year - crikey a teenager in the house!! A teenager and a highly hormonal woman - poor Ronnie!!!

Stuart and Pauline said...

Lisa, by the time Alice is a teenager I'll probably be going through the menopause. Poor Stuart, might decide to move out for a couple of years.

lisa said...

My mum had me when she was almost 40, so when I was an early teenager (13/14ish), she started the menopause. I didnt know what it was at the time but I remember her turning into this monster!!! Then I remember my aunt taking her to the dr's for some pills which I had no idea what they were but boy did they make a difference! She was a different person completely, I had my normal mum back again. I remember dad asking her one day (she was throwing some kind of tantrum at the time)!!, if she had taken her "happy pills". It was only years later, whilst thinking back, I realised it was HRT tabs.

So maybe Ronnie & Stuart should get a supply of 'happy pills' in for when the time comes!!