Tuesday 29 January 2013

You have got to love facebook.....

 I am back in Denmark again and today I was back at work. I arrived home yesterday (Monday) late afternoon. It was great to see Kritian, Andrew and Leah again and to chat with Sara. It was also lovely to see Laura and Mia (our neighbours) again. I missed them all.

Off course it was hard leaving dad but it helped that he had improved so much the last few days that I was there.

Saturday afternoon my Aunt Kathleen and Gillian came to visit him. Aunt Kathleen came a little earlier and met me for lunch. We had our traditional fish and chip lunch. (Well, Aunt Kathleen gets a pastie, I get the fish!) 

The week I spent in Ireland was just spent at the hospital with dad, I had not once gone shopping in Belfast. However on the Saturday morning I woke up with something on my mind. I knew Gillian had a birthday sometime in January and I thought it was either the 23rd (which would have meant that I had missed it) or it was the 28th which would have been Monday. 

As I lay there wondering I thought of facebook. It always tells you when people have a birthday so it was off to check the computer. It was then I discovered that her birthday was that very day! I jumped out of bed! I had two hours to get something organised. So after a quick shower, I was then heading into Belfast city center to pick up a few presents to surprise her.



I rang dad and told him I would pick up a card that he could give to her. We then made the plan. When Gillian got to the hospital dad would talk away to her, then he would ask her if she had a birthday this month because he thought she had one sometime in January and when was it. We know Gillian hates to make a fuss about her birthday and we knew she would try and blow it off and not say anything. 

We decided that when she told us that it was that very day, Dad and I would sigh, look surprised and say "Ah Gillian....(be a bit dramatic on the facial expressions, like we were sooo disappointed to have missed her birthday and try and look annoyed that she hadn´t said anything.) Then I woud say "well then it´s a good job I got a cake and pressents for you!" and then bring out all the surprises. 

I could hardly wait!

I bought a cake, paper plates, paper cups, ginger ale, a big birthday badge for her wear and her presents.


 The whole thing worked out as planned. When dad asked her about her birthday she just smiled and said  "Don´t you be worrying about my birthday, never worry, I forget about it now days..etc" but dad kept on and she finally caved and said "it´s today, but don´t worry you know I don´t worry about birthdays"


 You should have seen her face when I pulled out the cake, paper plates, spoons, cups, ginger ale and presents. It was just brilliant!! We had a lovely wee party by the side of dad`s bed and all the other patients joined in. They all got cake, even their visitors, there was loads for everyone. It was so much fun!
 
 When I arrived home last night my neighbour Laura came over with dinner for us all! It was sooo delicious and I enjoyed not having to come straight home and make food.

Later on a note appeared on my kitchen window. This happens sometimes and I love it! At 8 o´clock she and Mia came over with dessert and we had a cosy half hour together.


3 comments:

Charlene said...

Hi Laura, glad you're home safe and sound. Gillian's surprise was brilliant, sounds like not only did it bring a smile to her face but to the every face on the ward! What fabulous neighbours you have, you are spoilt rotten girl.....

Laura said...

Hi Charlene yes the surprise went over well.:-) I know I am spoilt rotten....Laura is too good to us! You know everyone should live next door to a good friend! :-) want to come live on the other side of us? haha

Charlene said...

Notes like dessert at 8 could really sway my decision!