Thursday 17 February 2011

A relaxing evening.....

So after a stressful mother and daughter day out on the town, Leah and I needed some relaxing time, so we decided to draw.

Leah has a book that explains how to draw things step by step. After looking through all the options, she decided to draw a car - a mini cooper! The result can been seen below. Well done Leah!


I wanted to try and draw a face. I have tried before, many years ago but always ended up giving up. It was just too hard. I never knew where to begin or what to do and so the face never turned out like the person. So I went in search of help on the internet! (What a wonderful invention the internet is!!) I found a video of an artist who showed, step by step how to draw faces. This was what I needed! I sat myself down and followed what he said. The result is below:-


It´s a portrait of Michael Jackson. I am rather pleased with it! I don´t think it totally looks like Michael, the mouth is not totally right, but as a face I think it looks ok. So I hope I can do some more. The main thing is that it´s soooo much fun to do and I relax so much when I am drawing.

Then I saw that he had a video on praying hands. I thought I would give it a go. Now if I was to sit down and draw after these hands I would not have a clue where to begin. But he broke it down into steps and I could not believe that I was actually drawing hands, this was another thing I could never draw!! They were just too hard.

His drawings are fantastic so I am looking forward to checking out more of his work. If you want to check him out his website is www.merrillk.com



2 comments:

lisa said...

They are brilliant! I know from my dad being an artist how hard hands and faces are, really difficult so you did a fantastic job. I love the praying hands, wouldn't mind trying them myself but its years from Ive drawn anything, all Ive done recently is paint abstracts which is easy, no one knows if they turn out wrong haha! I want to do something really nice for above our bed but it will be a competition between Ronnie and I, I'll do a painting and he'll do a photograph, we'll see who wins, I haven't much faith it will be me lol!!

Laura said...

Lisa you should try it - if I can draw them anyone can - honest!! I don´t have a natural talent, it´s just following the teaching on video:-)
I think abstract is really hard to do! I think the painting you did that is hanging in your living room is gorgeous. I can´t paint abstract - it looks like something a kid did!!

Anne did these amazing abstract paintings for her living room, they are lovely. I take my hat off to you people who can paint abstract - I think that takes real talent!!

So are you going to let us see what you paint for your bedrooom? Hope sooo!!!