Thursday 3 February 2011

Smart box....

Charmerende weekend
About 6 months ago Kristian and I got a "Smart box" from some friends. A "Smart box" is a gift box for different experiences, for example a brunch, a luncheon, wine tasting, make-overs etc. Ours was for 1 night in a hotel with breakfast.

Well the gift card needed to be used before the end of February 2011 - which, as you know, is soon! So we decided we better plan our weekend away. Kristian left it up to me to choose the where abouts and hotel. It was to be a surprise for him. I would plot the destination into our GPS and he would just follow the directions.

Yesterday I decided that I better get the whole thing organised and booked. I must have spent 2 hours investigating all the hotels that were in the book that came with the smart box. I narrowed it down to 6 different hotels - all in a place we hadn´t been before. I checked out the area and what there was to do. I checked out nature spots for going walks. I then checked out the distance from home to the different places. I finally settled on one. A cosy hotel overlooking a harbour, in a cosy town, with wonderful nature places nearby to go walks.

All that was left to do was book it. In I went to the "Smart box" website and followed the instructions. I put in the date we wanted, yet my hotel didn´t come up. I put in other dates, still my hotel didn´t come up. None of the 6 hotels that I picked came up!! Arrrgggghhhhhh. Apparently there were no rooms available on the dates we wanted.

The only hotels available were far away on the other side of Denmark. Now this normally would not bother us, but the day that we are going, Kristian has an exam . He is first finished at noon so the day would be nearly gone if we were to travel far.

However there was this one hotel that was available that wasn´t so far away- it was in Copenhagen!!! I know, I know, it´s a place we know well and have been a 100 times, but I decided to book it anyway. :-) The more I thought about it the more fun I thought it could be. Being in the city, exploring different things and then going back to a hotel right in the heart of it all, appealed to me. So even though our weekend away is only ½ hour from home, I am soooo looking forward to it.

I told Kristian where we were going, so he wouldn´t be disappointed when the GPS told us to drive to Copenhagen! He was happy enough. I suppose it doesn´t really matter where we are, as long as we are together! (I know, you want a bucket - don´t you?)


So this Smart box thing - I don´t know if it´s really all that smart after all:-)
(well, I suppose I could have been a bit more organised and booked the room a few months ago. Now we only have 2 more "Smart boxes " to use - 1 for a brunch and another for lunch. I really do love these gifts:-)

3 comments:

lisa said...

Even though it didnt quite work out I think the smart box is a great idea, I'd love one (hint hint) haha only joking!! The secret seems to be book it when you get it Laura, not when its nearly expired! But enjoy your trip to Copenhagen anyway, it'll be nice just to get a break alone with your husband.

Laura said...

think you´re right Lisa - I should have booked it months ago:-) and it is a really great idea, as you can buy them for all sorts of experiences, so there is something for everyone. Do they have them in Ireland?

lisa said...

No, well not that I know of.