Monday 18 April 2011

I have an idea......

Kristian hates when I say those words..."I have an idea".  It usually means something crazy and this time is no exception!!

A few weeks ago we painted Leah´s room and since then I have been restless. Our room looks so boring compared to hers, so I got this crazy idea to do something fun with our room. Those of you that know me well, know that I would love to live in a log cabin, or an old thatched roof cottage - so the idea I got was to turn our room into a log cabin!! 

I shared my idea with Kristian and he just shook his head. 

I wasn´t sure when I would attempt my crazy idea, but then today the opportunity arose. After church I was meant to meet my friend Laura for coffee (actually hot chocolate!), but she had to cancel at the last minute. This meant I suddenly had an afternoon free. Kristian wasn´t home, he was out racing. It was his first go-kart race of the season. So I decided that while the "cat" was away, the mouse would "play" - so I got out my paints.

My orginal idea was to turn our bedroom into a log cabin, but once I painted the first beam I knew it would be too much. The room is sooo small, it´s only 150cm wide and 280cm long.  So I adjusted the plan. I decided I would make beams and then do woodwork half way up the wall, that way I would get the wooden look and the beams would give it an old cottage feel. (at least that is what I hope!)







The idea is to do the wooden panelling all the way round the room. I will also do a beam at the top, on all the other walls too. On the back wall we have a shelf, this I will take down. I then want to paint a window on this wall with some wonderful scenery. I am not sure what I will paint for the scenery - maybe a forest scene or a country road scene or a seaside scene. I´ll keep you posted!!






As I said earlier Kristian had his first race today and he won - 1st place!! I have a very happy, but sore husband at home this evening. Well done Kristian:-) Hope it´s the first of many trophies....even though they are ugly looking things!! haha

5 comments:

Rhoda said...

Laura, I thought when I looked at the pictures they were real wood! I'm very impressed that you have painted them. They are brilliant. I love the idea of painting a nice scene on the back wall - that's class!

Well done Kristian on winning the race too;)

Stuart and Pauline said...

1. Laura you are crazy!!!!

2. Poor Kristian.

3. You are soooo talented. I thought the same thing as Rhoda, that they were real. Well done you!!!

Rhoda said...

Laura what in the world are you sitting on in that photo? It sort of looks like you are suspended mid-air!

Laura said...

Thanks! Rhoda...the painting of a nice scene didn´t turn out sooo well, but I am so tired of painting now, so I will try and fix it up another day. I know Pauline I am crazy and I have the best hubby in the world, he just lets me do all these crazy things!! haha I actually thought painting the scenery would be the easy part and trying to make it look like wood would be the hard part, it was totally the opposite. I had fun and that´s the main thing:-) I am sitting on the edge of our bed...all the bed clothes are off and it does look like I am suspended in midair:-)

lisa said...

You mad mad woman!!!!! Its brilliant though!