Monday 28 December 2009

Books, books and more books....

One thing a girl can never have too many off is BOOKS!! (although my daughters, son and husband would not agree!) I am the only book worm in this family! But there is nothing better than snuggling down in bed at night with a good book. Nothing like getting totally absorbed in another persons life, their dreams, their problems, their mistakes, their failures or even their successes. Its wonderful!!


I mostly like to read romantic books, or funny books, or some sort of teaching book on some theological subject (nothing too deep though!! I have a simple mind!!) or a practical book that will help me live out the Christian life.




Well I have spent a good part of today reading. One of my favourite Christian writers is Adrian Plass.


Through out December I have been reading The Sacred Diary of Adrian Plass aged 37 and 3/4. I have read this book about 7, maybe 8 times and I literally roll around in bed hardly able to breathe because I am laughing so much...I usually end up crying too from all the laughing. I always try to read the hilarious parts to Kristian, (that is, when I have got myself together again)so he too can be in on the fun, but he only looks at me and says "so whats so funny about that?"


So after reading his first diary, I then read the follow up - The Sacred Diary of Adrian Plass - Christian speaker aged 45 3/4..... He also has a third book in the series, which I too have read, (but unfortunately I didnt get it fitted in to this Decembers readings!!)



Today I just finished reading Adrians - Stress Family Robinson nr2 book! I enjoyed the first one sooo much that I bought the 2nd one as a Christmas present for myself - a real bargin it was too. A used book in good condition going for 5p - they could nearly just give it away! (BUT I had to pay £3.75 in postage - did you ever!!)


So why am I telling you all this?

Probably because I am feeling a little bit sad that I dont have anymore Adrian Plass books to read at the moment. He brightens my day! His charaters are in some ways soooo like me!! hahaha He makes me laugh and yet his writings make me think too. So I suppose I just wanted to recommend some fun reading to those of you who love to read. A few books to help get you through the depressing winter months with a laugh and a smile on your face:-)

Now I´m off to check out amazon to see what other books he has!!

4 comments:

Angie said...

Hey Laura - I read his sacred diary years ago and, like you, laughed my socks off at it. I read it so much that I had to bin it in the end as it kept falling apart. Haven't read the other 2 tho....well, not yet!!

Angie said...

Just another thing Laura. Another website you might want to look at is christianbook.com. I know it's an American site but depending on the strength of the dollar i've found that even with paying postage they've been cheaper than buying it elsewhere. Have a wee look at it and see what you think.

lisa said...

Ok now you know what Im like for books, so Im going to have to go and buy them! They sound so so so so good!!

Laura said...

Oh Angie isnt that sacred diary of Adrians soooo funny - you have to read the nr 2 - its so funny too....and nr 3 is good, maybe not as funny as the other two, but I have only read it once, so I cant really remember all the details. But I must tell u about the day I was reading the second diary on the train. I thought I was the only person in my compartment and I started to freak out with laughter - I was hyperventilating and crying (basically getting on like someone mental!) and this man, which I hadnt notice, was suddenly looking over the seat towards me with a very worried look on his face hahahahaa and I couldnt even recover to explain to him that I was reading a funny book. I just got up and walked out of the compartment hahaha

I must check out that other site....anyway happy reading - yes lisa you will have to get them but I hope you find them as funny as I did...