Friday 3 October 2008

Andy "cooks" his first meal

Tonight we all had plans, (that is Sara, Leah, Kristian and me,) so there was no time to make food for Andrew.(Poor boy) I did offer to buy a pizza for him but he decided that he wanted to make his own food. So out came the frying pan (we got a quick picture on the way out the door). After a few instructions from me, he had a great time frying up bits of potatoes, onion, bacon, and ham - something the Danes call " Bikse food". You eat it with dark bread, a fried egg and some beetroot. It actually tastes really good. (All this food came in a frozen bag, so it only had to be warmed, but to him it felt like cooking!)

So he quickly pushed us all out the door so he could make his food. (I off course was on the phone ½ an hour later to make sure he had turned off the cooker and that the house hadnt burnt down!) All was well.

When we came home later in the evening he told us how cosy it had been.

He had just finished "cooking" when two of his friends knocked the door. He invited them in and shared the food with them - needless to say they were very impressed that he was making his own food.

The three of them decided to head into town as the shops were open until 10pm. So while Andrew got ready he turned on the computers and made sure his friends were entertained with different computer games.

It was really funny hearing him tell us all this, cause he said, and I quote " I was just imagining that I was living in my own wee house in the south of Denmark and I was a bin man (very important detail)- I made sure my friends had what they needed and it was just sooooo great, like having your own place! " (Him and his dream off being a bin man.)

Anyway his trip to town was cut short as he got the runs!! haha - so much for his cooking!!

Actually he ate some fast food up in town (since he had to share half his food with his friends, he was hungry) - he thinks it might have been that......

He´s ok now - he´s had such a good evening. He enjoyed having some time to himself. How we all need that from time to time!!

5 comments:

Lorraine said...

We sure do need time to ourselves. Well done him for cooking his own meal. My friend Chris could only make jelly when he moved to Belfast from Dublin (he's a great cook now but we still tease him about that!).

Charlene said...

Good for Andrew! I like to TRY & encourage Lewis to try his hand at cooking, Tidying, Putting the washing into the basket, machine & then washing line etc... just so that I prepare him for the future (& some poor girls future!)I know how long it took to "train" Philip! It's still a work in progress. Ha ha

Rhoda said...

Well done Andrew.

Get him trained up Laura, and encourage him that it will be good experience for him if he cooks every Friday for the family!

I think I've had food something like that from Ikea, it looked and sounded very similar.

Yeah teach all your young men to be domesticated - your future daughter-in-laws will be very grateful:-)

lisa said...

We dont have any girls in our family, I have 9 nephews and 2 sons, so lots of males! You know how when a close relative dies all the women rally round and are constantly in the kitchen making the tea, sandwiches, cakes etc? Well at my aunts funeral a while back Jane, Donna & I took a 5 minute break, as we were sitting talking Jane said "We'd better get good daughters-in-law because if we're depending on those boys to organise our funerals we're in big trouble - they'll probably just send out for McDonalds at the wake"!!

Stuart and Pauline said...

Well done Andrew!!!!

When I was at Uni, one of my housemates had been sent on a chef's course before he left home and given a set of knives as a leaving present. He turned out to be a really good cook and we let him cook a lot. Unlike another housemate, who couldn't cook anything, his mum would send him to Uni with loads of Marksies frozen meals and put them straight in our freezer. I don't think he cooked in three years.

It is such an important skill. Thankfully Stuart is a really good cook too. He bulk cooks at the weekend and then we freeze it all and have it during the week.