Wednesday 15 October 2008

Beating heart and shaking legs

...well that´s what I had most of yesterday. Leah and I went to an amusement park called Bonbonland. My heart was beating very fast, and my legs were shaking after some of the rides I had been on.

We have gone to this amusement park every year since the kids were small. (Sara was 5 and Andrew 3 when we started going.) It is a fantastic place for young and older kids. They have a good mixture of wild rides and rides for really young kids. Every September we, as a family packed a picnic basket and headed off there. This was the highlight of the year.. However this year we didnt do it - too much on, and the kids getting older....etc.

However Leah had got a free ticket and it had to be used before 19th October so we decided that we would go - just the two of us and have a girls day out. (Sara was at a summer house with friends and Andrew was also out with his friends - my kids are growing up!!)

So Leah and I were up early. It´s takes about 1½ hours to get to this place and we wanted to be there for opening. First we drove Kristian to work as we passed it on the way. Then we headed on for our fun day out.

Kristians work.

We arrived 5 minutes before opening, and for the first hour we were able to try lots of rides without standing in a queue.
I must admit - I am getting old!! I am not as adventurous as I was in my young day. I use to love wild rides. Now - well, any wild rides I did go on, and I did try some, I came off a wreck!! Literally my heart was in my mouth and my legs were shaking. Took me a while to recover. My wild daughter however took it all in her stride. She thought I was such a weakling getting so scared!!


After a morning of trying different rides we had something to eat. I didnt pack a picnic. I thought we could buy something since we were just two. The food was nothing to shout about and we actually missed my picinic! (I always made a big thing out of our picnics there, so we always had a delicious picnic with us!)

After lunch there was a sea lion show. Now that was fun! Amazing what they can get those seals to do.

Then time to try some more rides.


Finally we had had enough off rides. We decided we would head out and visit the huge shopping centre they had in the next town. We had a blast walking around looking in all the shops. (Now this was more my cup of tea!)


Finally it was time to head home. We stopped by Kristians work to pick him up again. This time we got to go inside and meet his colleagues and see around the place. What a huge building!!

Home for dinner and a cuddle with our wee kitten. We spent the evening watching a film that was on TV.
It´s been a really good day but also a really nostaglic day. As Leah and I went around we were remembering different things that had happened there on our family trips. Things Andrew had done, things Sara had said, things that had happened to her, rides she had been on with Kristian.We had a laugh as we remembered and then I realised that those days are gone. My two big kids are growing up, and Leah is on her way too. We will probably never go there again as a family (maybe with the grandkids!!) The two big ones go to places like that with their friends. Didnt I also do that when I was 15, and 17? I went to Funderland with my friends, not with my mum and dad. It´s sad...but hey, I have got soooo many great memories.
When the kids were small we sometimes didnt have the money to actually go to this amusement park. (It cost about £15 to get in but then everything was free. We always went in September because 5 could get in for the price of 4.) So I would juggle around with the food money and save here and there and somehow we always managed to scrape through. I always had a saying "Lets make memories" and so we would scrape and do without somethings so we could make memories at Bonbonland. I am now soooo glad we did.
What I am trying to say is, make memories!! Time goes by sooo fast. I am forever saying to Krsitian "Hey lets go make some memories!" Make memories with each other and with your kids. Time is precious, dont waste it, make memories that you can cherish for the rest of your life.
Wow - didnt I get serious there!! haha
Now I need to go and get this house cleaned. Tomorrow our house will be changed into The Rasmussen Hotel!! We have 4 friends coming to stay from Norn Iron. Am soooo looking forward to seeing them. So my day today will be spent cleaning up, washing bedclothes and getting the house into shape. (and in between all that there will be time for a cuddle with Pepsi!)

5 comments:

lisa said...

Ah you and Leah had a lovely day! But you got me all emotional (its not hard) talking about memories, and kids growing up and never doing things together again, Im nearly crying!!!!!

Im a complete wimp when it comes to amusements, I wont go on anything! Once when Connor was about 3 I took him on the babies rollercoaster which was literally a round wavy track about 2 foot of the ground and I was sick! I got of it and said "never again"!! He still keeps me going about it!

Rhoda said...

Laura you are so right. Time goes way to quickly, and we can either fill what we have with good memories or bad ones. I'm often saying to David the same thing - I wonder did they teach us that in Kilchzimmer! I mean "let's make memories"

Isn't it great that you had a special day for you & Leah to make memories:-) I wouldn't be surprised at all, if even the two big ones agreed to go again, as a family - just once to make memories.

So 'Pepsi' won the vote for the name - it's a good name, perfect for a coke lover - Just wondering if it's the light or dark coke????LOL


Enjoy your visitors - I'm sure you'll have lots of crack, and no time at all for your Blog pals!

Rhoda said...

PS One of the good things about getting older is that you can have a healthy fear of the wild rides, without people calling you a whimp! I always hated them, and avoided them like the plague, now it is respectable to hate them:-)

Laura said...

well the name still isnt decided....we are now thinking of Winnie. Cause we got it from winnie and she has just been here with Sara. They came home from the summer house today. So we might call it winnie. Sara is the only one who really likes Pepsi now. The poor cat must be confused cause we change it´s name everyday, just to see what suits it. So we´ll try Winnie for a day and see what we think off that.
haha

Laura said...

I know what you mean Lisa about getting emotional. Yesterday as I was walking around I was remembering and yet thinking it´s never going to be like that again. I was remembering coming home after being there with them and tucking them into bed and how happy they were and how exhausted they were and just knowing they were tucked up safe in bed, was a wonderful feeling - and now they are all big!!! (sometimes they go to bed after me - well Sara does) It´s hard letting go!!! hahaha
Good job I have got a little kitten to look after - thats my baby again!! haha

I am just so glad we went on holidays and did things, even when money was tight because we made memories and the kids talk about it now. Off course we also made lots of memories doing things that didnt cost money.

Andrew talked the other day about the time we made a road map. You could buy these carpets with the roads all drawn on them so you could drive cars around on it. I couldnt afford to buy them so I went and bought 8 sheets of cardboard and taped them together. We drew roads and garges and things and painted it. Andrew loved that and he talks about it even now. Finally I saved enough together and got a cheap mat for him when on sale.
Leah also talked about us making clothes for her build a bear. We couldnt afford to buy the clothes and we had soooo much fun making clothes until we had saved up enough to buy some clothes. Making memories is sooooo important. I realise it more now that they are big - you really need to make it with them in their childhood.

Ok I am going to shut up now. I really am waffling on here. I have done nothing today but sit with this cat and watch TV. (the kids all had friends over) My house needs cleaned and we are having guests tomorrow. Better go get myself going her.