Saturday 25 October 2008

Saturday morning and my alarm went off at 7am! (Crazy, -I know!!) I was so confused when I woke. I thought I had to go to work and I really, really didnt want to. I was tired. Then I noticed the time and paniced - I should be at work for 7 - it was then I realised that it was Saturday!

So why wake up on a Saturday at 7am when you can sleep in. Well, I had promised Sara that I would drive her to the train station. She was going to Odense to meet Winnie and some others friends. (Its a 2½ hour train journey so she needed to be away early!) So I was being the good mummy and making sure she got away on time. (She comes home this evening just after 11pm.)


So when I came home from the train station I thought about going back to bed, but decided against it when I was greeted by our wee bundle of fur. She was all ready for a cuddle, so that´s what we did....

When Leah woke up Shadow wanted to cuddle with her too....

Leah was watching Disney channel and Shadow was cuddled up watching it with her.


I got ready and headed out into town with Andrew. He needed a new winter coat, he only has a summer one, and it is getting colder. So against his will I dragged him around the shops. (He would much rather have been at home resting his weary limbs!) But we found a coat in the second shop we went too, so we headed home again quite quickly.


I dropped him off home and then I headed out again - 1 hours shopping is not enough for me, especially on a Saturday. While I was gone, Kristian was cleaning the house, now that´s what I call good work distribution - I shop, he cleans!!


So today while shopping I bought the ingredients that I needed to bake this cake I have been raving on about. After dinner I started. I got everything organised and I was feeling good, feeling positive. I was actually feeling like my mum! She loved to bake and spent many an evening baking in the kitchen. So I got started.....


....it seemed to be going well. That is until I took it out of the oven and saw the size of it! The receipe said that I should cut the cake in two, but I couldnt cut this one in two! It should have been double the size it was. (I seem to have a problem with getting cakes to rise!) So discouraged, I packed everything away and gave up!
I am now going off to paint and draw. Now that´s something that I DO enjoy doing!
(Leah and Shadow watching Hanna Montana! Cute eh?!)


7 comments:

lisa said...

Better luck with the cake next time! What is potato flour? in asian cooking they use a thing called potato starch which is a bit like cornflour, is that what you mean? If ingredients veer a bit of the norm I can get easily confused!

Rhoda said...

I know what you could have done with your cake . . . cut it in half, put your filling in, and just let on that you were always making it that size to begin with:-)
What did it taste like? It looks really good.
If you had a KitchenAid it would have risen!!!!!!

lisa said...

Or you could've just covered it with the filling and pretended it was a topping rather than a filling! But yes - have to agree with Rhoda, a KitchenAid would've made it perfectly!

lisa said...

Sorry this isnt cake related but just wanted to ask how many days it took you to recover? I lifted Tom yesterday (he was in his highchair & mum couldnt get him out, remember he weighs 2 & a half stone) and my wound (the bellybutton one) started to bleed. Its stopped now but when I had a shower this morning it washed the top of it & it started again. Did anything like that happen to you? Ive been taking it really easy ever since though. Havent even made so much as a cup of tea! Also, were you very swollen? (I look about 5 or 6 months pregnant)! But that doesnt worry me, I know it will go down in its own time.

Laura said...

Oh Lisa I have such a bad memory - I dont remember anything about the actual wound. I remember being a bit sore and sleeping on the living room chairs as they push back and it was easy to get up from....I slept there 2 nights - that was it. I remember that the pain was bearable and I could go around and do easy things after a few days. As for being swollen, well by the time I got the snip done my tummy was always swollen because of fat!! haha
If you´re worried ring the doctor tomorrow and just hear what he says.

Now about the cake - it tasted good. I think I must have done something wrong when I added the flour, it was really light and fluffy then I folded in the flour, quickly and carefully, but then I wasnt sure if I should whisk it, so I took my electric hand mixer and gave it a blast with that...thats when it went a bit funny - like it sunk...but I thought, hey it will be ok in the oven. haha Hopeless I am.

Now potato flour, it could be starch, over here it is directly translated potatoe flour, but it doesnt feel like flour it has more of a cornflour feel, so it must be starch.

Also over here I bought the pasturised eggs - the receipe called for 1 "carton" egg white (so I thought that must be 1 egg white) - you buy the egg whites in small cartons. On the carton it said that 1 wee carton = 1½ egg white.
and you need 3 cartons of pasturised egg yokes - it said on the carton that 1 carton = 2 egg yokes so you need 1½ egg whites and 6 egg yokes - just in case you try it. If you understand what I mean?!!

The cake actually tasted ok. We ate it while still hot. I just couldnt be bothered doing anymore last night, but I might give it a try one night during the week again.....any tips about folding in flour - what I should do???? I dont want to waste all the ingredients I bought especially for the filling....so you never know you might see me at it again!!!

Rhoda said...

Sounds like that blast blasted out the air!
You need to fold the flour in a little at a time, using a metal spoon. Literally put your spoon into the mixture, and fold it over the flour - don't stir it, until it is absorbed in the mixture, and then add a bit more etc until it's all in.
Try again!

Laura said...

Thanks rhoda - I think I might try it again. I just got a bit too eager with the mixer!! haha Got a bit carried away! haha