Wednesday 22 October 2008

A receipe for all you Bakers

So do you remember the cake I told you about, the one I tried at the christening and was totally wild about. Well I got the receipe. I haven´t tried to bake it yet myself. Remember baking stresses me, it doesnt relax me - so I need to work up to it. (I might bake it at the weekend, but then again I might not!!) Anyway, I wanted to share it with you people that love to bake. So here it is:

Mascarpone Cake

Cake:

90 grm sugar
3 eggs
60 grm flour
30 grm Potatoe flour
½ tea spoon baking powder
25 grm butter

Mascarpone cream:

1 pasteruised egg white
100 grm sugar
3 pasteruised egg yokes
grated skin of 1 lemon
corn of 1 vanilla pod
½ dl (50ml) lemon juice
2 sheets of soaked gelatine
250 grm mascarpone
1½ dl (150ml) whipping cream

Decoration

Icing sugar
Mint

1. Put a baking sheet in the bottom of a 22cm springform. Butter the bottom of the form well, and sprinkle with a little sugar. Whip the egg and sugar together until light and fluffy (soyou can form a figure 8 in it.) Melt the butter, (without it losing its colour), let it cool to lukewarm.

2. Sieve the flour and baking powder together and fold it and the melted butter, quickly and lightly into the mixture. Spread the mixture into the springform. Bake on the bottom rack, in a pre-heated oven at 180 degrees for about 30 minutes, until it is golden, risen and baked thoroughly.

3. Loose slightly the bottom of the spring form. Let the cake cool completely and then divide it in two. Put the one cake bottom back into the cleaned up springform. Then whisk the pasteruised egg white until a little stiff, add 1/5 sugar and whisk until completely stiff. Set to the side.

4. In a new bowl whisk the pasteruised egg yokes with the rest of the sugar, until light and fluffy. Stir in the lemon rind and vanilla corn. Warm up the lemon juice in a small pot. Take of the heat and stir in the "dripped off" gelatine. Let it cool off a little and pour it (pouring should be with a thin "line" if you know what I mean, cant think of the proper english word! haha) into the egg yoke mixture, whisking constantly as you pour.

5. Fold the eggyoke mixture and the mascarpone together. Whisk the whipping cream to a foam and fold that and the whipped egg white together to a light cream, add to the mixture.

6. Spread the cream over the cake bottom. Put the other cake piece on top and let the cake rest in the fridge for a least 6 hours till the cream sets. Loosen the cake from the springform and put it on a serving dish.

7. Decorate with sieved icing sugar and a few mint leafs.

Let me know if you try this and if you thought it was good. Happy Baking!!!

6 comments:

Lorraine said...

The recipe looks a bit hard for me, so I'll leave it for the experts!

Laura, I'm just reading your last posts and you asked about pastels. I draw with them a lot - the chalk ones, not oil pastels - I find those a bit unruly. Top tips for the chalks are to keep loads of hankies / kitchen roll beside you and keep washing your hands as you need to blend loads with your fingers. Do the light things first and gentle shading as you go along. That works for me anyhow. I did a gorgeous pic of Ziggy our old dog for Jen for a wedding present.

Happy drawing!

Stuart and Pauline said...

The cake itself sound gorgeous, but that icing cream sounds like a right faff. Not sure I could be bothered to find pasteurised egg white and egg yolk. I would probably either use the lemon curd and whipped cream filling or just a butter icing. All the recipes I bake are fairly easy and quick, don't have a great deal of time these days to spend on lengthy recipes.

Made the toffee brownies for home group last night and one of the blokes said they were his favourite and I could certainly bake them again. Will do later in the year.

Laura said...

yeah it does look rather hard Lorraine. As I was translating it I was also wondering if I could do it. But I am determined to give it a try cause it tasted sooooooo good. Pauline the filling was absolutely delicious, it made the cake. But I am sure lemon curd and cream would taste just as good.
We can get pasteurised eggs white and yokes pretty easy here. They are just beside the ordinary eggs in the supermarket.....anyway, just thought I would post it if anyone wanted to give it a try. I might make a wee video of me making it....now that would be laugh!! cause usually my baking goes all wrong, especially first attempts

Rhoda said...

I think I would be taking a short cut on the topping!
But do make it with a video Laura, that would be brilliant:-)

lisa said...

Come on - lets have the video!! I will try it when Im back on my feet, I'll use ordinary eggs though, I think its just a difference in the countries, the way things are produced, but hey Ive just had anaesthesia & morphine so if Im talking rubbish thats my excuse!!!

Laura said...

hej Lisa welcome back!! Good to hear from you.