Monday 26 July 2010

One productive day...

I got up this morning with a goal - to clear out my head!!! Now some of you will probably be saying "Well I´m sure that didn´t take you too long, there´s not much in there to clear out!!" hahaha (and you wouldn´t be far wrong!) But with only 1 week of holiday left, my mind is starting to panic about all the things I need to prepare for the up coming months. Today I wanted to get a start on some of those preparations, and I did!!

For those of you who don´t know, I work in a school and I have been asked to teach the 3rd and 4th graders English - as their second language.(WHAT??!!!! I hear you scream!!!! I know, those poor children! They will be speaking with such bad grammar and a Belfast accent too, so they will!!! hahaha)

Well, I said I would give it a try as I do love teaching children.

Today I got out all the material and went through it. I made my years plan for the 3rd and 4th grade (something I have to do - this is given to the parents so they can follow what you plan to teach!) I even got my first 2 lessons planned in detail and 6 others outlined. I am soooo fired up!! It has been wonderful preparing things in English. I am really looking forward to this challenge. (Now wait to hear what I say at the end of August when I have been teaching for a few weeks - it will probably be another story! But I hope not!)


Andrew has been saving up for a Playstation 3. He has been wanting one for months. He finally had enough money from all his hours of cleaning at the school, to be able to go and buy one. When Kristian came home from work we decided to go to town and see if they had any good bargins. They did!! Andrew came home a really happy chap!

He needed a screen to go along with his PS3 (as his computer screen doesn´t have the right specifications - or something like that!) Unfortunately he didn´t have enough money for that, but next Thursday he has a birthday, so today we decided to buy him an early birthday present - a new screen to match his new PS3. He was over the moon. He didn´t have to wait to play with his new toy. (and now I don´t have to run around looking for presents for him! It´s a win, win situation!)

Off course Kristian had to get in on the fun too!

Yes - it has been one good day! I can go to bed with a half empty head!!! I still have the church work to organise, but I´ll make a start on that tomorrow, then my head will be totally empty and I can enjoy the last few days of my holidays!

4 comments:

lisa said...

Well done you and well done Andrew, for saving all that money. Connor got his for Christmas, I havent seen him since ha ha ha!! They do all this online gaming too, its all a bit over my head!

I will be praying for you for your teaching, what date do you start? I couldnt teach a load of teenagers, you are so brave!!

Laura said...

I start the teaching on the 12th August!(gulp - help!!!) but even though it´s 3rd and 4th graders, that´s wee kids...they are 8, 9 and 10 years old. (Over here schools go from 0 - 9th grade)

I would NEVER be able to teach older kids...that´s when they start to learn grammar etc. Here I will be teaching them how to introduce themselves, colours, body parts, conversation, etc - easy things! haha Things I can just about do!! haha

Don´t know about being brave - stupid may be, brave, definitely not!! hahaha

Rhoda said...

I have never seen Andrew with such a big smile!!!!:)
Well done for saving up for it himself. A good lesson to learn early in life.

I think you meant get your head cleared not emptied! LOL

Laura said...

NO I did mean empty!!hahaha I wrote empty on purpose!! haha (I was just trying to be funny!! you know like empty head...nothing in there!!)