Saturday 14 February 2009

Happy Valentines Day

Happy Valentines Day everyone!! Hope you have enjoyed your day as much as I have enjoyed mine.

After 18 years of marriage I can safely say that I know my husband pretty well!!So I know that if I want to have a romantic Valentines day, well then I have to organise it!! So that is exactly what I did. (and I must say I really enjoyed organising it all!)

The day started with breakfast in bed. I was up early and made Kristian coffee, cornflakes and toast....I had bought some chocolates and a special kind of gift/card for him.


I woke a very surprised Kristian. (He is going to kill me for putting this picture on the web! He warned me as soon as I took the picture that it wasnt to go on the web.....ooops... haha) But I think he really enjoyed his breakfast in bed.

While he relaxed, I went and got Leah from her sleep over and did a quick bit of food shopping to stock up for next week.

When I came home I found a very happy Krisitan. He was thrilled with his gift/card. Let me explain....His card, when you opened it, had 8 pages in it. Each page could be pulled out and used like a gift card....there was an idea on each card for a date.
Here are the 8 different dates, maybe someone out in cyberspace can use these too 1) A cosy night at home (you pick the film and I make the treats), 2) A romantic dinner (I cook the dinner and you choose the dessert)3) A trip to the movies (We hold hands and eat popcorn) 4) A neck and back massage (total relaxation), 5) A day were you do exactly what you want (but only together with me) 6) A fun night on the town (you pick the time and place and I pay) 7) Breakfast in bed (with everything you wish for) 8) Make up a date yourself....
So the idea is that once a month we use one of these. Kristian is going to mix them up, hold them face down and then I get to pick one...and we do whatever it says we should. Sounds like fun to me!!
Late morning we headed into Copenhagen just to pick up a part for Andrews computer. I went along for ride. Gave us plently of time to chat on the drive in and out.
I had cleaned the house yesterday, so when we came back I suddenly had a whole afternoon free to do whatever I wanted. So I got out the paints. I got inspired by a picture that Kristians sister Signe had taken and so I played around with colours.


Then it was time to get ready for our date. I had told Kristian that he needed to be ready for 5.15pm. I had booked a table up in a lovely wee cafe/restaurant in our town and then planned to take Kristian to the movies afterwards.

(I made some food for the kids and they were settling in to watch some films while we were gone.)

We had a wonderful meal at the cafe and it was really cosy.

Afterwards we had ½ hour to put in before the movie started, so we decided to walk through our wee town and take some pictures. We had such a laugh! We were like a couple of big kids!!!
So have a look at our wee town. Below is a shop that has been very important to us through the years...the toy shop!! (been a while since I´ve been in there!)

Then we have the Danish bank.....you will notice the logo is the same as the Northern bank and the Northern bank is decorated just like the Danish bank! I went into the Northern bank when I was home to tell them that if they came to the bank in my town in Denmark that they wouldnt know the difference. (I think they thought I was a bit crazy!! haha)


Us two fooling around! (You know we talked tonight about not wanting to be this boring old married couple that were in a rut - we wanted to have fun - so we did!! We might have acted differently if there had been people around town, as it was, we were the only two nutters out!! probably because it was sooooo cold. Everyone else was inside their wee houses with their candles lit!)

Can you spot me in the picture below??? (Look carefully!)


After fooling around till we were frozen, we headed over to the movies.


The film was soooo good. It was a new Danish film called Escaped. It was about a Danish journalist who gets kidnapped in Afghanistan. The terrorists want the west out of their country. The Danish government doesnt really respond to their wishes at first, so they decide to give them 10 days and for each day that goes by without them responding, they will cut off one of the journalist fingers. (gross I know!)

Well they get a young boy of about 17 to cut off her first finger. He doesnt really want to do it, but is forced. Anyway, he has to keep an eye on her and he decides to help her escape, but tells her she must never say it was him. They make it look like she attacked him and got away. She goes back to Denmark and keeps her promise to him. She tells no-one that he helped her escape.

Then the young mans uncle wants him to do more crimes and he decides to run away. His opportunity comes and he decides to go to Denmark.(off course lots of exciting things happen inbetween all this!) He finds the journalist and she tries to help him but this causes problems as he is seen as a terrorist. Wow, it was a really good film, just showed that things are not black and white.

Wow feels like I have written a book - sorry about the long post. But it really has been a great day. Good night all!!

7 comments:

lisa said...

What a lovely day!! (and night too). We had a romantic meal ourselves. I wanted to do the works, best china, candles, 3 courses but with an almost teenager in the house its a bit difficult (as he would get an extra plate & sit between us)! so imagine my delight when he got up this morning & asked to sleep in his grannys! So off to M&S I went & bought lots of lovely things to eat! We had already given each other our presents and cards this morning so I just had to concentrate on the food. It was a lovely relaxing evening & we talked like 2 people out on a first date, we never shut up! Its funny, even after almost 10 years you can still find out little things about each other you didnt know (though I must admit, a lot of the stories Ronnie was telling, Id heard them before - but I didnt let on)! So, now its bedtime & he's sleeping like a baby & I just had to check the blog before I go to sleep - now thats dedication - blogging on valentines night lol!!!!

Laura said...

Oh so glad you had a good night too Lisa....its great when you get a night in and have peace to talk and be romantic together....got to go my hubby shouting at me that we will be late for church adn that I am blog addicted! haha

Rhoda said...

Sounds fun Laura. (Must say as I read your description of the film I thought to myself "Slumdog was positively romantic compared to that!")

You must have a hot bed for Kristian to sleep topless!

If I woke David up to give him breakfast in bed, I'm not sure he would be smiling!

You mean Lisa a teenager sitting between you is not romantic???!!! How much did you have to bribe Connor to get him to ask to go to granny's?!

Glad to hear of your commitment to the blog that you even check it on Valentine's night!

lisa said...

Ok ok - I did kind of manipulate him!!! Well, mum had actually thought he was going to stay on Friday night & she had bought him chocolate, crisps etc as they have a little picnic night when he stays there. But he decided he didnt want to stay this weekend so I casually dropped into the conversation all the things mum had bought him and hey presto - he wanted to go to grannys!! Cunning I know but if you cant have a romantic meal with your husband once in a while its not good!

So Rhoda, what did you do on valentines?? Spill the beans!!

Rhoda said...

Lisa we are on here at the same time, just at different places!

I knew it! I knew he didn't just announce that he wanted to go to his granny's:-) But well done for managing it, and managing to make it look like it was his idea all along!

Laura said...

Yes Rhoda what did you do for Valentine??

I really did want to stay at home, but we have 3 teenagers and I knew that we just wouldnt get peace last night...plus by the time I bought everything in it would nearly be as dear as eating out, as the wee cafe did a special two course menu for about £12.... and you just know how much I love cooking - NOT!! so well done Lisa in getting Connor to go to grannys. I think a romantic night in the house is just so nice - you can really relax.

Yes Rhoda we have a very hot bed, after all I am in it!! hahaha

After being at my dads I can only say our apartment is so warm...everywhere, so you can literally sleep naked and not freeze....so come Rhoda we want to hear what you did for Valentine...anything exciting. I know that if I hadnt planned anything, we would have done nothing, my husband is so unromantic and Valentines day is not a big thing over here, so he never thinks about it.

Rhoda said...

So Laura, I'm guessing you made this cards?! That's one way of getting the dates you want:-)