Friday 6 February 2009

Now where did today go??!!!

Today just seemed to fly by!! and it was all go from start to finish.

I spent the day up in the attic. It doesnt seem that long ago that the attic was my hide away place. A place where I spent many a waking hour as a teenager. Up in the attic I sang many a song into my hair brush pretending to be the latest big star of the 80's! Up in the attic I would dream about whatever boy I was madly in love with.....I would dream about my future, what I would do, places I would go.

Back then my whole life was in front of me. It was strange sitting there today, a middle-aged (but only in body, I'm really young in spirit!) married woman with 3 big kids. Where has the time gone?

Off course the attic I sat in today, was nothing like the attic I sat in as a teenager. It was a mess! Through the years things have been piled up there and have literally been forgotten. I wish I had a picture of before and after, unfortunately my camera broke....the card went funny and so I couldnt take any picutures, but believe me it was a mess. There was literally no where to stand...I had to climb up and then put the trap door down and stand on that. The stuff was dumbed on the floor and went up above desks and bookcases....I really didnt know where to start.

I decided to start in one corner and work around and thats exactly what I did. Dad, Sara and Leah went into Belfast and I stayed home and worked. It felt soooo good. I threw out and organised and before long I could see more and more of the floor!

Dad couldn't believe his eyes when he got home. Now there is still alot of organising and throwing out to do but now it isnt just an explosion in an attic. All the video tapes are in boxes at one side, flannelgraph stories are in bags another place. Dvd's and cassettee tapes in another box. So now dad can take a box at a time and sort through it and throw out what he doesnt want to keep.

I worked from around 10.30am until 7pm!! It felt soooo good but by 7pm I was tired and hungry and I was not in the mood to make dinner, so we headed out again to good old KFC. (We only have a KFC in Copenhagen and we are not very often in there so we had no objections to eating KFC again!)
Sara had bought a new camera in town today so we had it with us to try it out. She is all happy with it. (not to mention my dad! He thinks its a brilliant wee camera for the money and is trying to convince the rest of us that we need one too! haha)

Now I didnt get a chance to shop today and since the shops open so late over here we decided to head to TK max and Matalans on the way home. We didnt buy anything but just enjoyed walking around looking. Even bumped into my friends Ruths mum and sister (Pat and Judith). It was rather strange cause I forgot I was in Belfast and noticed them coming towards me. I thought to myself "that looks like someone I know, but it cant be since I'm in Denmark" but then they recongised me. It was really good seeing them again.

It was then home and a long chat on the phone with my sister-in-law. She is coming by tomorrow with my neice and nephew. I am so looking forward to seeing them again.

Must say it has been a long and productive day. I'm going to bed content and satisfied! Goodnight all.

4 comments:

Rhoda said...

Well done Laura, for being able to get the attic all organised - inspite of the trip down memory lane!!!! (That you didn't stay on memory lane, but got on with the work!) I'm sure your Dad is so grateful.

So it was in your attic that you learnt to sing into a hair brush!!!!

Even as I looked at your photographs - especially of the girls on the stairs in their new clothes, I had so many memories of your house. I remember the china dogs on the stairs! (They might well be worth a wee fortune now, especially if your dad has two of them)

Hope you get your own camera sorted.
I guess you'll have to eh! The blog wouldn't be the blog without Laura's pictures!

Well I hope you all have a great time tonight - I'm sure you will laugh so much.

Have a good day!

Lorraine said...

I remember many happy hours in that attic - and all the 'secrets' we shared!!!! Can't remember any details though. Shame! See you later.

Anonymous said...

Hej alle mine tøser!!
Hvor er det fedt at læse om alle jeres bedrifter! - I hygger jer rigtig hva'? :o)
Vi har haft en stor krise her hjemme!! Andys PC gik død fredag aften da han tog den over til thomas. Vi bøvlede med den til over midnat men ak, det var som om at den denne gang er hetl kaput! Nok det væreste der kunne ske for Andy og så lige op til en ferie!!
Her til morgen gik vi så igang med den helt store operation - flyttede "organer" fra den ene patient til den anden (Saras pc)operationen lykkedes for den ene patient, men desværre ikke for den anden! Vi har stadig en død pc (nu Saras) som nok skal have et nyt bundkort.
Andy var helt nede og ked af det, men nu stråler han igen - jo vi hygger os også :o)
Kys og kram - vi elsker jer!
Farmand & Andy

lisa said...

Hi there, just on checking that no one has cancelled (the restaurant rang me to check, what with the snow & our wee country coming to a standstill)!! I'll bring my camera with me just in case, wouldnt want no photos taken tonight!

You done a good job getting the attic done, I wouldve spent the day playing the old cassette and video tapes and got nothing done!