Sunday 22 February 2009

I was at it again....

Last Sunday afternoon I took a baking fit and baked all afternoon, and I actually enjoyed it for once. Well this Sunday afternoon found me baking again!! This time however it wasnt because I was in a baking mood! It was more because my wee daughter had promised her teacher in school that she would bring "fastelavn boller" to school Monday morning for her whole class.

When I asked her why on earth she did that, her reply was..."Well mum you baked so much last Sunday I thought you actually liked doing it now!" (Now how stupid can she be to think that I actually like baking!!!) So because my daughter volunteered me, I spent the afternoon baking, when I much rather would have been painting. Ah well, the things you do for your kids!



So over here it is "Fastelavn" - its a bit like Halloween. The kids get all dressed up, go around the doors, sing a song and you give them sweets or money. Tomorrow at school they will have a huge wooden barrel hung up with sweets inside. Each kid takes it in turn to hit the barrel with a wooden bat and the one who finally gets it to break and all the sweets to fall out is crowned King or Queen. The kids will all be dressed up at school tomorrow too.
So this afternoon Leah and her 2 friends got dressed up and headed out into the neighbourhood to knock on doors and sing. They made about £1.50 each and got lots of sweets. When they were finished they came home to "fastelavn boller" that I had just finished baking. (something you eat over here at this time...it is a bready sort of dough filled with cream - rather yummie!) They tasted really good! (even if I say so myself!) Now they are looking forward to eating more of them tomorrow at school.



Its been a good afternoon, even though I spent alot of it in the kitchen baking. The kids had fun and after I got everything finished in the kitchen I was able to put my feet up and relax as well.

( I actually was watching some old videos of Sara and Andrew when they were 2 and 4 years old - soooo cute! I had totally forgotten about some of the videos I saw this afternoon. They were ones we never got played over to a big tape, so I needed the video camera to see them! Hilarious! To all you people with small kids out there, take lots of video of them, in every situation. You really do forget what they were like - it does you good to look back and remember!)

4 comments:

Lorraine said...

Just spent ages reading over all your recent posts and catching up. Loved the Melba story.

You are getting so good at baking - really taking after your mum. Mmmmm ... just the thought of her wee buns with icing on top .... yummmmmmmyyyy!

You're right. I must take more video of the kids being crazy.

Our house has been a bit mental this week as Brian, Simon and Molly have all had the bokey bug. I spent Thursday disinfecting the bathrooms and changing all the beds so Livvy and I didn't get it. Seems to have worked so far!

Anonymous said...

Good job baking Laura! I remember us in home economics class with Mrs Benson and they weren't always successful. I can't wait to see what you bake next Sunday...it could become a tradition haha.

Karen

Laura said...

Yes Karen I remember Mrs Bensons classes well. I was a hopeless case...I remember her telling my mum at a teacher/parent thing that I had two speeds - slow and stop!! and she raised her hands in despair!! haha so I dont think I will make it a tradition - what about you Karen do you like baking??

Hey Karen do you remember our experiments in Mr Hannas class - they always went wrong..:-)

Lorraine sorry to hear that you have had a mental week! You really have had your hands full with 3 people down with the bug...poor you. Hope you and Molly escape. Yes you have to take videos of them, its so much fun to look back on. I saw one last night were andrew was drinking a milkshake and he had a milk moustache...and he kept running over to my mum and kissing her on the mouth so she got the milk all over her. He then laughed soooo much. He was a wee rascal.
Hope you get time to update soon - would love to see photos of Olivias birthday.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I remember Mr. Hanna's class and how our experiments ALWAYS went wrong. Kerri is taking science now and I am trying to encourage her as she isn't that interested but I dare not tell her how awful I was ha-ha.

Back to Mrs. Benson.....do you remember she used to allow us to dry our wet shoes and socks in the home economics ovens. I am sure the pong must have been terrible haha.

By the way...did you hear about the school reunion in October?

Karen